USCS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alejo12

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

I was solving a problem where I was classifying a soil according to the USCS system:

Sieve 10 . . . . 19 % pass

Sieve 40 . . . . 25 % pass

Seive 16 . . . . 16 % pass

I know is a Coarse Soil bacause it has lass than 50 % passing the No. 200 sieve.

When I tried to keep going I realized I didn't have the percent passing the No. 4 which I need to solve for the percent gravel = 100-#4.

If only 19 percent passed the no.10 i know 81% was retained above the No.10 sieve.

My question is on how to know the exact % that passed no.4 to determine the %gravel .

Hope anyone can help me on this one. Thanks !

Hi everyone ,
I was solving a problem where I was classifying a soil according to the USCS system:

Sieve 10 . . . . 19 % pass

Sieve 40 . . . . 25 % pass

Seive 16 . . . . 16 % pass

I know is a Coarse Soil bacause it has lass than 50 % passing the No. 200 sieve.

When I tried to keep going I realized I didn't have the percent passing the No. 4 which I need to solve for the percent gravel = 100-#4.

If only 19 percent passed the no.10 i know 81% was retained above the No.10 sieve.

My question is on how to know the exact % that passed no.4 to determine the %gravel .

Hope anyone can help me on this one. Thanks !
How do you have 25% passing the #40 sieve, when only 19% passed the #10 sieve?

The problem shows those results.
I have to agree with Badger. You can't have more material passing through a No. 40 sieve than a No. 10 sieve. How's that possible? Are you sure you don't mean the weight retained?

Also, what's a No. 16 sieve? I thought the next smallest sieve size after No. 40 is No. 200?

Please double check the question.

I have to apologize, there is no such thing as a Sieve No. 16 in the problem. The correct information is sieve no.200.

With respect to the % passing , I checked and the problems states the % passing by weight !

sieve % passing by weight

10 19

40 25

200 16

still need help solving the problem. will appreciate any help.

Back