Up goes Oil!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EM_PS

shining like a lighter...
Reaction score
:smileyballs: :smileyballs: :smileyballs:

Here we go, $4 / gal right around the f'n corner!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...mail/components

this part of article kills me:

"There was no single driver behind oil's sharp price jump; investors seized on an explosion at a 67,000 barrel per day refinery in Texas, the falling dollar, the possibility that OPEC may cut production next month, the threat of new violence in Nigeria and continuing tensions between the U.S. and Venezuela. The fact that there was no overriding reason for such a price spike could be a bad omen for consumers already bearing the burdens of high heating costs and falling real estate values. Many recent forecasts have said oil demand growth this year will be less than initially expected, yet prices continue to rise.

In the words of Conan, "Krom!"

Unbelievable.

And to think oil was around $18 a barrel when I started work in the oil patch in 1991, and a jump to arund $21 started what was called (at the time) a "mini boom" in activity. Now, just 17 years later, oil is worth nearly FIVE TIMES as much. Is there anything else anyone can think of that can quintuple it's value in a 17 year period?

That just doesn't seem right to me.

Is there anything else anyone can think of that can quintuple it's value in a 17 year period?
It's worse then you think. The average price of a barrel of crude oil in 1999 was under $17. So this spike in oil prices has only occurred in the last 8 years. Hmmmm...

...8 years you say? I wonder who we can blame this on? :laugh:

I take it you're a Democrat RW? :)

All I can say is that a whole lot of people are going to be changing how much they drive in this country. This will be a painful transition.

It's worse then you think. The average price of a barrel of crude oil in 1999 was under $17. So this spike in oil prices has only occurred in the last 8 years. Hmmmm...
...8 years you say? I wonder who we can blame this on? :laugh:
Ugghhh.... You're right.

Remember that cheese-o-rific primetime soap, Dallas (circa 1980's)? My mom was a fan (really!) I remember one of the episodes where they were carrying on about $30+ a barrel for crude, like that was virtually an unattainable rich man's fantasy -

basic transportation will be a rich man's fantasy at this point

I take it you're a Democrat RW? :)
No, although I have been known to vote that way on occasion (like in the past two presidential elections).

All I can say is that a whole lot of people are going to be changing how much they drive in this country. This will be a painful transition.
It will be a painful transition and who knows what that transition will be to, but hopefully the one positive thing that these high prices will do is stimulate research into alternatives.

that transition has really already began. How many states depending on tourism have felt the crunch these last few summers? People just ain't as into (or able to) traveling, whether intrastate or interstate anymore.

I have a diesel vehicle - during summer when diesel is typ. cheap, its great for taking long trips in. This winter? forget aboud it! Diesel's been sitting at $3.50 +- since its been cold. Its like a virtual pay cut

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, does anyone know how realistic it would be for everyone to operate a home wind turbine or photovoltaic bank, continuously generating hydrogen from water by electrolysis, to power fuel-cell vehicles? It seems like a good idea to me, but I have no idea of the costs or scale of power needed for that to work. Something like that would make the transition about as painless as possible.

Honestly, does anyone know how realistic it would be for everyone to operate a home wind turbine or photovoltaic bank, continuously generating hydrogen from water by electrolysis, to power fuel-cell vehicles? It seems like a good idea to me, but I have no idea of the costs or scale of power needed for that to work. Something like that would make the transition about as painless as possible.
I am familiar with the photovoltaic since it is my main project here. So far the preaching is falling in deaf ears. No interest at any level. PV is too expensive right now, about 10 dollars the Watts( A 20kW will cost $20K). But there is hope on the way. Right now the Florida Solar Energy Center is developing an ultra thin layer of cells that will lower the costs of a PV installation. The acrylic cells, the most common, will produce about 70~80W per area. The new ultra thin will produce only 35W. Give and take.

Interesting.

While high oil prices suck for the individual and, for the short term, society, in the long run they are good because it will drive society to greater efficiency and alternate sorces of energy, which is a good thing.

BTW, the sun is the only true source of energy...

I just read a book called "Darkness Falls" about a bacteria which eats about 40% of the worlds oil resources. The book goes into how our society changes when almost half of our oil supply is gone almost over night. By the end of the book gas is $12 a gallon and our economy is shot. If you look at all the stuff oil supplies in our lives its crazy.

I want an electric car so bad. Theres no reason I should have to buy gas for my short commute. I wouldnt mind plugging my car in for 8 hours a night if it means I can zip to work and back and not have to gas up. Here in Kentucky we've got all that cheap cheap cheap (yes, I know also dirty) coal energy that I want to put to good use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my annual salary increase effective Feb. 1. It showed up on this week's paycheck. I don't know about anybody else, but my basic living expenses (food, clothing, shelter, transportation) are going up much faster than my pay. So, we're going backwards.

Short commute? Bike it! Not only will you save $, you will get your excersize too!
I have debated riding my bike to work I'm not far away (it's only 10 miles to work), but I don't live in a very pedestrian/bicycle friendly society. While the exercise would be great I fear my overall health would suffer after being run over by a car. :(

At my old job I did bike it a few times. However my new job is too far to bike but close enough to piss me off that I have to waste gas getting here.

BTW, the sun is the only true source of energy...
I can see arguments that the sun is the source of solar, wind, hydro, tidal and fossil-fueled energy. But what about goethermal? (I don't mean shallow heat pumps, but real geothermal--like harnassing geysers). I suppose you could argue that the earth wouldn't exist without the sun, which would rule out geothermal.

But what about nuclear fission?

^ :plusone:

Not that i'm working yet, but i'm encouraged by the increase in popularity of context sensitive design / solutions. Maybe those non-pedestrian / non-bike friendly areas can be lessened or even ameliorated.

Back