UBER / Lyft

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never understood how Uber and the like got away without paying those.  some cities have the same thing just to operate in the limits but then comes in uber and they don't have to pay..
I thought certain airports wouldn't allow Uber or Lyft?

How would an airport be able to enforce the ban? To anyone curbside, they don't look anything different than a friend picking up or dropping off... 

I thought part of the point of Uber was you would offer a ride to someone who was going the same direction/time as you.  If you're going anyway, isn't the full $15 money in the bank?

Most are using it as a job / supplemental income and not as a "ride share" - If you check out the app you will see there are tons of these drivers just hanging out waiting to give you a ride, probably idling and further polluting the environment. We should be thankful the unions are standing up to these rebels!

The local news had an item on how Uber is now partnering with restaurants to deliver take out orders.  The Uber app would allow the user to have a driver pickup their food from participating restaurants.

Last edited by a moderator:
The local news had an item on how Uber is now partnering with restaurants to deliver take out orders.  The Uber app would allow the user to have a driver pickup their food from participating restaurants.
Could Uber pick up food, swing by the local tavern, pick you up, and then bring you home with food???   EPIC

I've seen several people post that they'll walk into a restaurant (like Dominoes), order delivery to their own house, then hitch a ride with the driver.

I can see that, people taking an Uber because they think they're 'too good' to take the bus so you end up with 10 cars instead of 1 bus.

With the new job downtown, I take the bus every day and it's great.  Park-and-ride is 2.5 mile from the house and there are 2 different express routes with stops right across the street from the Federal Building.  Throw in the fact that the Gov't will pay for your public transportation makes it a no brainer.

I think that the only real benefit of uber is the significant reduction in DUI's and the deaths they cause, which is probably enough, but I think eventually people will look back and think how underpaid the drivers were and how it didnt actually help reduce trips (increased traffic)

Cincinnati does an event every couple years, Blink, that has hundreds of thousands of people coming downtown. Downtown was so crowded that Uber had a designated spot a couple blocks over where people had to go to get picked up.  Wonder how many of those people who were streaming to that street corner could have buddied up with other people and shared an Uber? (I've never used it, but I'm assuming there's no 'carpooling' option)

Cincinnati does an event every couple years, Blink, that has hundreds of thousands of people coming downtown. Downtown was so crowded that Uber had a designated spot a couple blocks over where people had to go to get picked up.  Wonder how many of those people who were streaming to that street corner could have buddied up with other people and shared an Uber? (I've never used it, but I'm assuming there's no 'carpooling' option)
Actually, you can request Uber Pools or Shared Lyfts to match you with other random riders in a shared car so long as your trip is at least in part matching with some or all of the other riders' trips, that will drop off each of the riders (and sometimes, pick up more riders) in a designated order based on where the end destinations are.

You can also share an Uber/Lyft with your friends and add in additional stops (for an additional fee) after the ride starts.

Back