TX-Results- April 2009

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed also a 74 in machine design. I took a refresher class and the instructor said that those who make way above the pass score studied to hard. =) :party-smiley-048:

Anyone congrats to all that passed.

Silly question, but what happens next? How do you get the actual seal? I heard you just go to the local stamp store with your PE number. Is that right?

Silly question, but what happens next? How do you get the actual seal? I heard you just go to the local stamp store with your PE number. Is that right?
IIRC, you'll get instructions from the state via email and snail mail soon. You can go ahead and have your stamp made, but you can't use it until it is approved by the board. Your instructions will tell you to get the stamp made and then mail in a form with your photo and stamp imprint.

IIRC, you'll get instructions from the state via email and snail mail soon. You can go ahead and have your stamp made, but you can't use it until it is approved by the board. Your instructions will tell you to get the stamp made and then mail in a form with your photo and stamp imprint.
thanks for clearing that up!

Did anyone get an email having 2 pdfs concerning seals?

The instruction to vendor doesn't have my name,address and PE number. And the opening statement asks the vendor to make a seal for the above mentioned person.

Can I just go ahead and write my name in ink or we are going to get a letter through snail mail which will have the names and PE number printed?

Did anyone get an email having 2 pdfs concerning seals?
The instruction to vendor doesn't have my name,address and PE number. And the opening statement asks the vendor to make a seal for the above mentioned person.

Can I just go ahead and write my name in ink or we are going to get a letter through snail mail which will have the names and PE number printed?
I just went to www.engineerseals.com and ordered it as soon as I got my number. It turns out that they're in the DFW area so I stopped by and picked up my stamp yesterday. Already filled out the form to send to the state board, and just need a mug shot of myself to attach. My co-workers think I should stamp my face all over and then take the picture. What do you think? Cool or dorky or both?

I just went to www.engineerseals.com and ordered it as soon as I got my number. It turns out that they're in the DFW area so I stopped by and picked up my stamp yesterday. Already filled out the form to send to the state board, and just need a mug shot of myself to attach. My co-workers think I should stamp my face all over and then take the picture. What do you think? Cool or dorky or both?

I think it's cool.

In a way, you will be certifying that your face is perfectly engineered :)

Yeah I just ordered my seal online from that same website. Ordered Tuesday, delievered to Houston Wednesday ;)

I want to order mine, too. (I'm from Georgia)

I was kidding with a PE the other day saying how I couldn't wait to NOT use my seal. He blathered on about how it doesn't matter if you seal or not. And then I said that I wouldn't put PE after my name either. He went on about lawyers and how I could just take extra care when I wrote something so I wouldn't have to worry. So I told him that I was disappointed to hear that I would have to do more work after my promotion to senior (by caring and checking) than I do now. I thought as you moved up you did less. He said I should've thought about that before I applied.

Do we turn in our senses of humor when we get our seals? 'cause I should've, then, thought about that before I applied lol.

:joke:

I want to order mine, too. (I'm from Georgia)
I was kidding with a PE the other day saying how I couldn't wait to NOT use my seal. He blathered on about how it doesn't matter if you seal or not. And then I said that I wouldn't put PE after my name either. He went on about lawyers and how I could just take extra care when I wrote something so I wouldn't have to worry. So I told him that I was disappointed to hear that I would have to do more work after my promotion to senior (by caring and checking) than I do now. I thought as you moved up you did less. He said I should've thought about that before I applied.

Do we turn in our senses of humor when we get our seals? 'cause I should've, then, thought about that before I applied lol.

:joke:
I hate talking about money but did anyone get a raise because of you became a PE? My boss discussed it with me and I hate to say it but i was really disappointed! I guess I need to find a job somewhere else. :BS:

Has any one received the official mail from TBPE yet which has the passing confirmation and certificate?

Has any one received the official mail from TBPE yet which has the passing confirmation and certificate?
Not yet. Got the e-mail that says I passed, and instructions on getting your stamp made. I've sent in the form with my picture and sample stamp, and it was accepted yesterday (notified via e-mail). So, at this point I can start actually stamping plans, but haven't received anything in the mail.

My short answer is that I will get a raise. I work for a large company, so it may take a while to go through the ridiculous amount of paperwork.

My co-worker's boss came to her with a number that amounted to about 15% above her current pay. But we know what her peers are making; and her offer is lower than all of them while her education, length of experience, and breadth of knowledge are measurably greater. She is now in a difficult position. For her, there is a position in town that will pay her and value her more. She has to now make that decision.

In this job market, for my specialty, it is more difficult to threaten to leave. So my cards have to be played a little more carefully. I will tell my supervisor up front what I expect and put him on the defensive (we have a good relationship, it won't be a strained conversation). He will have to come to me to say why (I'm assuming) the company is offering me less. If it's too much less, then I will just have to let him know that I will not be able to continue doing all of the extra things I do outside of my job description (training others, marketing, project management) so that I don't feel undervalued for my work. That's my bargaining power. I just don't want to resent coming in to work. That's my goal.

I am still waiting for my results but am not looking to change my job even if I passed the PE exam. Before you look to change job think about other aspects of the job like flexibility in time and good relations with your superior and coworkers. Starting new at a new location is not always easy with different people.

Money is only one part of working at a company. My company for instance gives raise annually without having to ask for it. Some other companies I have worked in past did not do that. Also I have flexible hours and a very good relations with all coworkers and superiors. It is easy to sacrifice a salary raise with more time for family or a better workplace environment.

Again this is my thinking and for many money could be worth changing jobs.

Back