Turns ratio confusion

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm,  Will you suggest to attempt. questions at the end of chapters of Chapman. 

I have worked a lot of them at some point in my past, but I was speaking to presentation and overall layout of the book.  I takes a fundamental, foundational approach.
My problem is, after reading a chapter I would like to test myself. There, I find Wildi has so many questions at the end of the chapters. The problem with PE exam is, there are not many actual matching sample tests (matching with real test) available in the market because of the confidentiality clause. I get restless, when I am not able to test myself where I stand  as far as preparation is concerned and that results into more studying. All is for good. I think there is need of fortune teller in this field- a good profession lol.

Hard to have a defined system if everyone knew the problems, therefore, either diminishing the value of being a PE or being impossible to pass.  Best I can give you is this, the test is almost identical in difficulty and style to the published practice exam. 

Hard to have a defined system if everyone knew the problems, therefore, either diminishing the value of being a PE or being impossible to pass.  Best I can give you is this, the test is almost identical in difficulty and style to the published practice exam. 
Thanks a lot. Let us see, count down has begun!!! I do not  think last two weeks can be used for studies, as those will be the times to plan for the exam, cheat sheet etc.

I used the last two weeks to tidy up any loose ends on topics I was weaker on.  I didn't use a cheat sheet, rather I learned my materials while studying (developed comfortability) and let that be my "cheat sheet."  

There's not a template that is all-inclusive such that any person could follow it and pass.  If there were, I'd gladly give it to you.  You know your strengths and weaknesses.  Bolster your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses.  

I cant stress enough how important it is to know your materials.  Really, just as important if not more so than being a "student" of the subject matter.  There are dozens (maybe hundreds) on this very forum who may even admit that.  Some fail the exam due to underestimating what's required to pass and they sleepwalk during preparation, others miss the mark by not being proficient with their resources. 

Good luck!  If you have any other questions during the countdown, please post them.  

Now, what are the figures 1:4 and 2:1 in the attached figure, here? Are they Turns Ratios (Phase Voltage Ratio) or Voltage Transformation Ratio of Xmers. The PPI guys are taking it as turns Ratio? In the particular question I got it right even by Voltage transformation Ratio because it was from Star to Delta and then again Delta to Star  transformation but PPI is doing it with turns ratios. In the Exam I do not know what should we take. It will make a difference if it is a single Transformation or even multiple transformations of similar type?

Capture1009.JPG

Turns ratio here. If only given voltages, then use the voltage ratios. When using voltage ratio is this senerio, need to make sure you do the ratio of either Vphase or VLL  on each side.

Back