Travel!! Where are you headed; Where do you want to go? Where have you been?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and i'm so close i'm basically there already. 
You are still an "Outsider"...

Nothin beats living in AK, but Japan was one hell of a trip.  

In the past year: Japan, Guam (twice), Hawaii, Canada, Spain, Guantanamo Bay (GTMO), multiple lower 48 locations and several locations in Alaska

Everyone needs to get to GTMO at least once.  Try the waterboarding, the water is fine...

Places I want to get to: Ireland, Scotland & Greenland

We're hoping to go to Thailand next summer with my parents and ILs. Our 10-year wedding anniversary is also coming up, so maybe Hawaii or Cancun.
I did thailand/laos/cambodia in feb and would be happy to share our itinerary info if you want to a la carte pick and choose from it. it has links and contact info and prices! 

We are poor people with 3 nearly grown kids who don't get our parents to keep the kids for us so we can jet off places, but I am excited that southwest is adding Hawaii to its flight plan in 2018.  We were going to go dive Belize in 2 years but would prefer to spend my money in the US when I can.

I am paying for 2 kids and a wife to go on a (band) school trip to Ireland this spring, a huge waste of money IMO for HS kids. But I lost that argument apparently!  But I am going to use the down time for helo skiing maybe that weekend with the daughter ;)
I've looked into one of these student trips and if your kids are super into it, I guess it could be worth it - it will no doubt be an awesome experience, but I've found I can do a better, more comfortable, and more customized trip for myself for less $$. which is why i'm in charge of the galapagos/mp trip this may! weeeeee

These are not those trips this is the HS marching going to Ireland to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade to stoke the ego of the band director at the cost of parents like myself

Umm...no....based on things I've heard from you and @Dleg, pretty much living anywhere else beats AK. :D
JAWScard47.jpg

I did thailand/laos/cambodia in feb and would be happy to share our itinerary info if you want to a la carte pick and choose from it. it has links and contact info and prices! 
Sure. We usually don't venture outside of Thailand but this time we might try to check out some of the neighboring areas.

Let's see...I've been to Cape Cod, Southern NH, Providence RI, Albany, NY, Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods in CT, Montvale, NJ, geez the list goes on and on!

I'm going to the galapagos islands and machu picchu in may | SEA-JFK-UIO-GPS-LIM-CUZ-UIO-JFK-SEA 

and just got vaca approved for my fall euro trip getting "boujee" with my squad in the south of france | SEA-JFK-LHR-DUB-NCE-CDG-LHR-SEA 

if anyone has pro tips I'm super open for suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-sJp1FfG7Q

Last edited by a moderator:
My in Laws wanted to take my kids there about 5 years ago - we declined but the in laws went anyways - looks like a good trip . But I didn't want "old people" responsible for the safety of my kids when they were younger in another country

I'm going to the galapagos islands and machu picchu in may | SEA-JFK-UIO-GPS-LIM-CUZ-UIO-JFK-SEA 

and just got vaca approved for my fall euro trip getting "boujee" with my squad in the south of france | SEA-JFK-LHR-DUB-NCE-CDG-LHR-SEA 

if anyone has pro tips I'm super open for suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we did the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu with these guys, locally owned, amazing experience!  We chose Salkantay over the classic Inca trail because there is a 2000; decent on the second day on tall stone steps that will kill your knees.  Or mine anyway.  Plus, no people.  A few locals, some cowboys ferrying pack horses, and incredible sights.  I got a touch of altitude sickness sleeping at 13,500', but I was fine the next morning.

https://www.alpacaexpeditions.com/inca-trail-expedition-salkantay-7d6n/  we actually did a 5 day, looks like they have added itinerary

We stayed in Cusco to acclimate, really neat city and there were some kind of cultural/religious parades going on in the square every day. Here's a neat boutique hotel

http://www.rumipunku.com/en-gb

We took a taxi tour of Lima waiting for our connection back home, it was pretty forgettable.  And a little scary.

The Galapagos is our our wish list! Enjoy and report back!

Machu Picchu is amazing! Mrs. Ble is Peruvian, so I've been to Peru several times and we made the trip to Machu Picchu and Cusco the first time I went down. I can't wait to go back and I plan on making the hike that @cement did with mini-ble1 when he's a few years older. What does your Peru itinerary look like exactly?

Visited Lima a few years back. We toured the catacombs. That was pretty interesting. Creepy yet interesting. 

Singapore. This is probably the best Airport in Asia. There are free to use comfy chairs and couches inside the airport where you can take a nap I think they call it snooze chairs. I used Uber to get me to places. I stayed at V Hotel Lavender and it's walking distance to Mcdonalds, Burger king, Subway, and Toast Box, and a place called Kopitiam, where you can get about $3 to $5 dollars lunch plate. Singapore is a lot like California and New York but no traffic. 

California. They have this Socal/Norcal Styles, vegan food, etc...

Philippines. This is by far the safest place in the world. We went to remote areas in Mindanao Philippines. We went to the Zoo, and they have different types of animals with M16 Rifles and AK47s. 

Florida. I Love Florida!

China. China Adores Trump.

Japan. Loved the sushi, egg roll, and other raw food they eat. 

Back