Transporting your references for the PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varda

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am going to take the Electrical Power PE exam in October in New York. As a city dweller I do not have a car. How do people transport all of their materials? Are you allowed to brign a backpack or duffel bag with wheels. If not my morning commute is going to be interesting.

Any tips are appreciated!!!

I think the answer to that question will depend on how much material you plan to bring and how you plan on getting to the exam site. If you don't have a lot of reference materials you could use a backpack, if you have a little more than that you could use a rolling suitcase, if you have a lot more than that you are going to have to come up with some other plan.

When I took the exam I had two milk crates full of materials. That would be to much to drag around on public transportation IMO.

I will be writing PE Civil Structural, I have a huge travelling bag with rollers on if is fully pack now with reference and will get another one probably a backpack for my snacks and other stuff.

I had a backpack and a small wheeled suitcase. The procotors will likely make you unpack your references onto the table and then place your boxes/suitcases/etc. around the perimeter of the room. I don't think there are any limits on how much you can bring in or how you transport it.

I had a wheeled suitcase that I was allowed to keep beside me at my table. It allowed me to keep everything organized and not clutter up the table top during the test.

I borrowed a dolly (aka hand truck) from work and bungeed tupperware boxes onto it. I don't think you can bring too many references if you are familiar with them.

PE civil Structural depth pm, too many codes and you cant do without AISC, AIC etc. so what do you do.

I used an "expanding folding crate on wheels"

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Expanding-F...DP4320:CL159733

No worries about it sliding off of a dolly since it's built into the dolly. It's a nice size and it has a "lid" to it so you could add another box on top if you wanted and bungie it together. It holds a max of 70 lbs. I liked the size because I could put my books in there with the spine of the book facing up and I could keep the crate next to me (I took it in Virginia). I would just look over beside me an know which book was which without any fumbling. I kept 3-4 books on the table in front of me.

Back