Tracking time per problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

This will be my first time taking the test and while doing the practice problems I realized that I tend to get bogged down and before I know it I've spent 15 minutes trying to figure out something. So I put together this little table that lets me know where I am at any given time. I've used an average of 6 minutes per problem and have highlighted where I need to be at the top of every hour. I've also broken down where I need to be for every problem in between. I'm going to print it out and tape it on to the inside cover of my 3 ring binder to use as a quick reference.

I know a lot of you won't need something so detailed, but please feel free to use it if you think it'll help in any way. Good Luck to all of us
So Nan, how'd you do? Which time management strategy did you end up going with?

used a different strategy for time monitoring during exam depends only on dividing the exam time into quarters (one hours each) take a look at clock only 4 times(one time each hour) and see how many questions have i answered?! ..

if the total exam questions were 40 then:

-after one hour i should have finished 10 questions or more (so if i,m working on the eleventh question or more then i,m OK, if not then i should speed up my rate of solving)

-after two hours i would have finished 20 questions or more (so if i,m working on the twenty first question or more then i,m OK, if not then i should speed up my rate of solving)

and so on ....

used this strategy on my FE exam

-finished am session 15 min earlier

-finished pm session ( civil ) one hr earlier

Back