Tough Mudder

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ventilator

Reaction score
I just finished my first tough mudder event this weekend. It was a great experience and I will definitely be going back again next year. I was just wondering if anyone else on here has done one and what their experience was like, favorite obstacle, etc.

Being an electrical eng. I think the 'electro shock therapy' at the end was my favorite even though I took three shocks that I felt and the fourth that I didn't, that one just put me face down in the mud.

I did one by Mud Factor month ago. A lot of fun! It was only a 5K, but some of the mud obstacles and quick sand really slowed you down.

I've done the warrior dash before, that was fun. I've never understood the fascination with the tough mudder. They seem to design the event to make the participant as uncomfortable as possible. They hold them in the middle of winter and make sure that you get good and wet which sounds like a recipe for hypothermia. Then they do things like electrocute you. That doesn't sound fun to me and I've run marathons! The warrior dash was fun. It's short and the obstacles seem to be set up for your enjoyment rather then just to make you miserable.

I've done the warrior dash before, that was fun. I've never understood the fascination with the tough mudder. They seem to design the event to make the participant as uncomfortable as possible. They hold them in the middle of winter and make sure that you get good and wet which sounds like a recipe for hypothermia. Then they do things like electrocute you. That doesn't sound fun to me and I've run marathons! The warrior dash was fun. It's short and the obstacles seem to be set up for your enjoyment rather then just to make you miserable.
I'll be doing the WD in the spring as well. Thanks for the feedback on tough mudder. Will probably steer clear of that one.

I'll be doing the WD in the spring as well. Thanks for the feedback on tough mudder. Will probably steer clear of that one.
Don't avoid the tough mudder solely based on my input, I've never done one before. That's just my impression from the event and from talking to people who have participated in them before.

The Warrior Dash is awesome though. That is far and away the most fun I've had at a "race". I ran it two years ago and was signed up for it this past year (they have the local one in April) but the event ended up conflicting with my vacation this year so we had to pass. The event seems to be more about having fun then making the participants suffer and it's short enough (3 miles compared to the tough mudder's 9) that even if you aren't enjoying yourself that much you'll be finished relatively quickly.

they did a mud run thing around here this summer...not sure why you would want to ruin good running shoes though.

I don't understand why you would ruin a good weekend by running at all... :p

^^

It's the fastest way I can think of to burn calories so I can drink the good beer, not that sissy watered down light shit. :p

Well, I'm in Florida so it was about 80deg so the water was actually refreshing. The electrical obstacles are great to just be able to say you did it, I didn't even feel it a few minutes later and to able to push through 12 miles with your friends was a great experience in my opinion. And yes they do try to make you uncomfortable but to me that is part of the attraction to the challenge.

I might be more open to the tough mudder if the local one wasn't held in February. Last year's event was held on a day when it was windy and cold. The temps at the start of the day were 40 degrees and it just got colder as the day went on. I know this because I happened to be roofing a habitat house that day and it was cold. When we left the jobsite it was 33 degrees, but the whole day I was thankful I was there on that roof instead of at the tough mudder, which is where my sister-in-law was that day. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have t done one yet but I'm signing up for the savage race this spring in Atlanta... It seems similar to the tough mudder but the tough mudder is way on the other side of town from me and the savage race is in my backyard...

I did a tough mudder in June of this year.... I have to say I think electro shock was my least favorite, I got zapped and bit it hard and had to crawl across the finish line. We did it in 95 degree heat so any obstacle with water was great, even arctic enema.

I read an article yesterday about the number of crazy injuries that happen at Tough Mudder. A friend did one and she said, while glad she did it, that she never needed to repeat that again.

Back