Took SOPE and not pass

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Morning everyone, 
I am new to the forum and set to take the PE Construction Exam in April 2018. I have about three weeks left of studying and I am drilling as many problems as I can and taking information from the engineer boards. (Great Stuff!) I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their experience of taking the School of PE refresher course and still coming up short after an exam attempt. I personally know a couple of folks who have taken SOPE and not passed but they mostly said that they did not put in the additional work to be successful on the exam. Just a few questions for those folks: - What did you think of the exam in the first attempt? - Did you have a good understanding of the concepts of both morning & afternoon? -What are you doing differently in your next attempt? -Was School of PE helpful for you in the morning and afternoon? & anything additional you feel is critical to know for a first timer.
I am not judging by any means as I am truly curious of the different "study attack methods" I should take with the three weeks I have left. Construction comments are the most helpful, but I'm willing to entertain input from other disciplines. Thanks
I took them and failed (just finding out today) [emoji20][emoji20][emoji30]... I was confident in their breath portion but they were severly lacking in the depth... I was not satisfied at all.. So now I'm considering this EET stuff with hopes that it will help prepare me, even though I have a free repeat with school of PE....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SOPE is absolutely unbelievable. They literally had everything you would need or told you exactly what reference to have. They prepared me for maybe 75/80 questions. (There were a few out of left field questions) 

Edited by Mod

They have to be connected to NCEES somehow to know whats coming. They had everything. 

They are an absolute must! Used their notes for 100% of the am portion. 

Put in the hours, mainly as many practice tests as possible, and I don't think you can fail. They have 90+% pass rate for a reason...

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely am going to put in more effort... It just the depth portion was not as good. I was confident on the breadth, but not on the depth part, which is why I'm going to do EET for depth.

I definitely am going to put in more effort... It just the depth portion was not as good. I was confident on the breadth, but not on the depth part, which is why I'm going to do EET for depth.

Sorry shengineer, my post wasn’t directed towards you. Just posting for anyone interested in a review on SOPE after the results we’re out. 

FWIW, I work in construction engineering, so my main concern was the morning. My work experience and being on a construction site daily helped me bigtime in the PM. 

Good luck on the next round!

EET helped me pass on my 2nd attempt.  If you can, go for the webinar version of the course. You'll get to ask questions as you go through and you could ask him to cover or go over more details for sections you struggled with. If you take ondemand, you will be watching video from the last sessions webinar class

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't pass with SoPE, but I came reasonably close. I don't think I did enough practice problems outside of the class. 

Back