Tiny Houses help address Homeless problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- While tiny houses have been attractive for those wanting to downsize or simplify their lives for financial or environmental reasons, there's another population benefiting from the small-dwelling movement: the homeless.

There's a growing effort across the nation from advocates and religious groups to build these compact buildings because they are cheaper than a traditional large-scale shelter, help the recipients socially because they are built in communal settings and are environmentally friendly due to their size.

Interesting turn in direction.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TINY_HOUSES_FOR_HOMELESS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-02-26-07-31-27

why build houses? just use dumpsters. anyone watch 2 Broke Girls?

So will these "little houses" have to meet building codes? They look to be the size of a shed/playhouse, might be good for a homeless person for temporary living, but I see a ADA lawsuit coming out of this fairly quickly...

these things are parked in the street in boulder, not sure where they pump out the toilet too..

this is just one of those eco-smug-elitist options for saving the world with a really dumb idea..

there was an articel in the Boulder paper how they were better than building a normal house, more sustainable, less urban sprawl, all that typical bullshit

there was an articel in the Boulder paper how they were better than building a normal house, more sustainable, less urban sprawl, all that typical bullshit

what would be better is to use what is already built rather than building new stuff... and there is NO way it's sustainable because the way it is designed can no more than last a few years of functionality, how the hell is that sustainable? OOOOOOhhhh, those daum hippies piss me off... have they forgotten about what happened to all those temporary FEMA trailers after Katrina?

these things are parked in the street in boulder, not sure where they pump out the toilet too..
twitter_full_cousin_eddie.jpg

what would be better is to use what is already built rather than building new stuff... and there is NO way it's sustainable because the way it is designed can no more than last a few years of functionality, how the hell is that sustainable? OOOOOOhhhh, those daum hippies piss me off... have they forgotten about what happened to all those temporary FEMA trailers after Katrina?

I hate the word sustainable. It is one of those 'softly defined' words with the greenie weenie crowd.

I hate the word sustainable. It is one of those 'softly defined' words with the greenie weenie crowd.

Technically the definitition is the capacity to endure....

Sure, but then the little shizzits claim cities are sustainable, which they are assuredly not. Suburbia is probably more sustainable than the cities.

Small towns are the most sustainable of all.

I can see this being a benefit. Homeless people often have substance abuse and/or mental health issues, which can lead to difficulty integrating into a group like they would be in large, cramped shelter. At least here they get privacy and will consequently be more likely to stay and receive treatment, rather than being on the street and possibly a danger to others.

This is all being built with private money so why criticize how those private donors chose to spend it?

Sure, but then the little shizzits claim cities are sustainable, which they are assuredly not. Suburbia is probably more sustainable than the cities.

Small towns are the most sustainable of all.

A small town that is nearly self contained is the most sustainable... the reduction of a COMMUNITIES reliance on outside sources really is the most sustainable point you can be. I got into a rather large argument regarding this with a person who claimed that him living off the land was his goal so he could be sustainable, a few weeks later a roadway project came through and he fought tooth and nail but lost and all his woods were "disrupted" and his country living plan was ruined... I don't think that was very sustainable...

Latest posts

Back