~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that what the freeze plugs are for? So they pop before you start cracking thing?

Hope it's not too badly damaged. That definitely sucks.

Is that what the freeze plugs are for? So they pop before you start cracking thing?
Hope it's not too badly damaged. That definitely sucks.

Freeze plugs are actually a bit misleading. They should be more appropriately called "core plugs." The only reason they were there was for letting sand drain out after the casting process. My last motor had the freeze plugs pop out, and there was a crack along the entire length of the block beneath the passenger side head.

When I broke the icicle off where it was, some fresh water came out, so I'm hoping that not everything in there was frozen solid. It's also an aftermarket block with a much heavier casting, so maybe I got lucky this once. I never in a million years would have had any reason to expect that there was water still in that thing, so that's what really baffles me.

That sucks man.

Yes. Partner that with me getting sick after a friend's birthday party, and this was not a very good weekend for me. I can't wait for Spring.

At least junior was away so you could rest. I had a weekend with 30 people in my house for little miss Chucktown's 2nd birthday. It was too cold to go outside so all 30 people were crammed into my 1600 square foot townhouse.

At least junior was away so you could rest. I had a weekend with 30 people in my house for little miss Chucktown's 2nd birthday. It was too cold to go outside so all 30 people were crammed into my 1600 square foot townhouse.
How does a 2 year old know 30 people well enough to have them at her birthday party?

How does a 2 year old know 30 people well enough to have them at her birthday party?
We have a ton of family close by. We even axed a few people off the list that we probably should have invited. So basically, any get together that we have, the minimum attendance is 20, the max is somewhere over 45 (I think that's what we had for her baptism).

We have a ton of family close by. We even axed a few people off the list that we probably should have invited. So basically, any get together that we have, the minimum attendance is 20, the max is somewhere over 45 (I think that's what we had for her baptism).
I've always had a very small family, so any time I've had to attend get togethers for the family of whoever I'm dating (MIAF has a big family with tons of kids, and I've dated some very traditional Italian girls, too...), it's complete and utter chaos. I don't know how people handle that without some valium and a CAB.

I've always had a very small family, so any time I've had to attend get togethers for the family of whoever I'm dating (MIAF has a big family with tons of kids, and I've dated some very traditional Italian girls, too...), it's complete and utter chaos. I don't know how people handle that without some valium and a CAB.

You grit your teeth and smile, then consume adult beverages afterwards.

One thing I don't like about the holidays with my wife's extended family in Manning, SC is that they are Southern Baptist tee-totalers, i.e. you better not drink in front of them lest you are relegated to eating with the dogs outside.

Now my family on the other hand, bloody marys are a requisite before noon.

For all that chaos, you need a little self medication.

Wow. Freezing temps are wreaking havoc with City of Jackson's old water system. They have upwards of 100 water main breaks. The city schools are all closed. Businesses have brought in portable toilets for workers. Neighboring cities (including our city) have sent crews in to help.

Gov. Barbour declared a state of emergency in the capitol city yesterday due to the water crisis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Freezing temps are wreaking havoc with City of Jackson's old water system. They have upwards of 100 water main breaks. The city schools are all closed. Businesses have brought in portable toilets for workers. Neighboring cities (including our city) have sent crews in to help.
Gov. Barbour declared a state of emergency in the capitol city yesterday due to the water crisis.
Are they still using the old clay pipes? Or is there just that much frost action?

Are they still using the old clay pipes? Or is there just that much frost action?

I didn't think they ever used VCP for water distribution. I thought it was only used for wastewater collection?

I didn't think they ever used VCP for water distribution. I thought it was only used for wastewater collection?
Right after I hit submit, I did a facepalm. I believe you are right, Chuck.

My son's pre-school had their sprinkler system freeze and break last weekend, which means I work from home most of this week.

I don't think it's the pipe material so much as it is the age. I understand that many of the mains are 100 years old.

I just heard that the MDOT office is shut down. The Capitol hasn't got any water either.

One of my favorites from the City of Atlanta was when it was 40 degrees and they had a water main break on a 36" pipe. The dipshits from the water department were on the news telling everyone it was from the cold weather. Apparently 36" water mains freeze at 40 in Atlanta.

but with the windchill...... :0

but serioulsy this shit is getting old! I know we have been spoiled for the last few winters but just... damn... its f'n cold, high today was upper 30's but being in the teens at night aint what the south is about..

at least I can put the boat back in the water come April (hopefully)

We had some warm air blow in here today. Didn't make it to ground level though. 19 deg. F on the ground when I took off this morning. Air temp of just over 40 F at 2500 ft and just under 50 F at 6000. Under normal conditions, the temperature drops by 4 deg for every 1000 ft you climb.

but serioulsy this shit is getting old! I know we have been spoiled for the last few winters but just... damn... its f'n cold, high today was upper 30's but being in the teens at night aint what the south is about..

:violin:

Just went outside, it's incredible how warm 46 degrees can feel when it's hardly been above freezing for the past few weeks.

upper 30's...some Illinoisians will break out the shorts and sandals (with socks of course) for that.

Back