~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be my wife.  Enjoy driving in the summer 90's temperature range with A/C on full blast.  Enjoy, more often than not, having A/C blasting with all of the windows down.

jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Every Fall, my wife takes a photo of her dash while I'm driving.  My side is on AC, her side has the heat on high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you move to?

(Assume not in Indy anymore?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I need the cold.  I am not good with heat.  It seems it takes longer for this area of the country to get colder.

My mom texted me their weather (rain and heavy winds) and all I could think was "it must be so much cooler than here".
Don't get used to that--this fall has been much warmer than usual here (I'm about 4 hours' drive north of you.)

I was on Cape Cod this weekend--they got hit with an early nor'easter and it was really rainy late last week, but it was much warmer there yesterday than it was here at home.

I have been loving the weather in the Midwest, but I'm used to Texas weather, where it's still in the 90s around this time.  Last year around this time, we went to ACL and I thought we were going to get a heat stroke.  So it's all been very pleasant in comparison.

But it was 37 degrees when I woke up this morning and there was some frost/light ice on my car.  I realized my old ways of scraping it off with a spatula is not gonna cut it this winter.  I need a legit ice scraper.  

Don't get used to that--this fall has been much warmer than usual here (I'm about 4 hours' drive north of you.)

I was on Cape Cod this weekend--they got hit with an early nor'easter and it was really rainy late last week, but it was much warmer there yesterday than it was here at home.
Oh thank god.  I'm like, "Midwesterners can't live like this?  It must get colder?"

I went to Lake Placid this week for a wedding/looking at the leaves turn, and it got down to low 30s.  Amazing how quickly the leaves went from really vibrant colors beforehand to really dull after the cold snap.

But it was 37 degrees when I woke up this morning and there was some frost/light ice on my car.  I realized my old ways of scraping it off with a spatula is not gonna cut it this winter.  I need a legit ice scraper.  

Not sure where in the midwest you are, but regardless, don't worry it'll be -10 F before you know it.  The upside is as it gets colder you actually get less frost on the car, until you get the dreaded frost on the inside of the windshield, which is a PITA.

Oh thank god.  I'm like, "Midwesterners can't live like this?  It must get colder?"
Don't worry, it'll be -10 F before you know it!

Not sure where in the midwest you are, but regardless, don't worry it'll be -10 F before you know it.  The upside is as it gets colder you actually get less frost on the car, until you get the dreaded frost on the inside of the windshield, which is a PITA.
Both @txjennah PE and I just moved to Indy (!!!!).  I used to live on LI, right on the north shore, so the temperature itself wouldn't kill you, but the wind chill directly off the Sound would (where the temp would be 20 F, but with wind chill -10 F).  Also lived in Rochester/Ithaca, so I'm used to lake-effect snow/temperatures.  Was getting worried since it didn't seem like it was getting cold.  Very excited it's finally turned a little, though it's still going to be around 70F mid-afternoon.

Both @txjennah PE and I just moved to Indy (!!!!).  I used to live on LI, right on the north shore, so the temperature itself wouldn't kill you, but the wind chill directly off the Sound would (where the temp would be 20 F, but with wind chill -10 F).  Also lived in Rochester/Ithaca, so I'm used to lake-effect snow/temperatures.  Was getting worried since it didn't seem like it was getting cold.  Very excited it's finally turned a little, though it's still going to be around 70F mid-afternoon.
Welcome to both of you! We should do another midwest EB meetup some time.  It's been a few years since we had one.

And yeah, this fall has been abnormally warm.  You're  bit warmer down there in Indy, but it's not unusual to have frost toward the end of September here, and we haven't had any yet this year.

You won't get anywhere near as much snow in Indy as you did in Rochester.  It's too far from the lake to get much lake effect.

Don't worry, it'll be -10 F before you know it!
I don't think I've ever experienced negative temperatures in my life, sooo that will be a fun experience? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I am so glad we don't get lake effect snow. I don't think I'd be able to handle that.  

40 isn’t bad if you’re used to it.  Walking at a brisk pace you might sweat with a jacket.  I’m in Boston and would likely wear a jacket/sweatshirt out walking in 40 degree weather.

If it's not below freezing, I am at MOST wearing a sweatshirt.  And unless I'm outside literally all day working, I'm still in shorts.

Back