The Right Wrong Answer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I have heard. If you are talking about some sort of sizing or code type things, you should go to the higher number. For example, if they ask what is the minimum pipe size that is safe (I'm not a civil so I don't know if this makes sense), always pick a number bigger than what you calculate. Never pick a smaller number because that would be unsafe. If they ask you an actual value, like "What is the votage between point A and B?" always pick the closest answer, bigger or smaller. Hope that is correct, and hope that confuses you sufficiently.

I remember a few problems where I could get a # that matched one of the choices, but none of the choices were in the right units.

I didn't have time to note the problem and hoped others would flag it.

Anyway, I have my license now anyways. :D

I know for sure that there were two closely answer and the other two were just not even close.

In the morning I have enough time that I was able to ck the distractor and if you did a division and the formula

call for multiplication, then answer was there. A lot the questions did have a closely match answer if you made a stupid

mistake. my 2 cents

I hope i didn't screw myself from passing the exam. I always took the "nearest" possible answer to the answer i looked up in the manual or calculated. I didn't round up anything to bigger sizes such as pipe flows or lane widths. I wonder how many problems I'll miss because of this.

^ You have to think carefully about what they're asking when deciding to go with the nearest answer or round.

You need to ask yourself, "does this make sense?" If I need 2.2 widgets to do the job, 2 won't do, you need to round up to 3.

I've found there's usually a key phrase in the problem that lets you know when you have to do this. If pipe comes in 10 ft sections, if softener is available in 50 lb bags, how many times can this be done in an 8 hour shift, etc...

Back