The future of the California seismic & survey exams?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While acknowledging that the $275 cost of sitting the three CA exams was most probably too low and an increase was inevitable, the new fee structure, whichever way it is spun, is a bit steep to say the least. Advance notice of the severity of the new increase should ideally have been given (say one year) or it should have been phased in over two exam cycles.

While acknowledging that the $275 cost of sitting the three CA exams was most probably too low and an increase was inevitable, the new fee structure, whichever way it is spun, is a bit steep to say the least. Advance notice of the severity of the new increase should ideally have been given (say one year) or it should have been phased in over two exam cycles.

I'm honestly surprised Ric has this much patience with you and others who agree with you. The PE registration fee is a fraction of your annual salary. Additionally, some companies pay or the registration altogether (even for multiple tries). Maybe you should change something on your end instead of complaining.

I'm honestly surprised Ric has this much patience with you and others who agree with you. The PE registration fee is a fraction of your annual salary. Additionally, some companies pay or the registration altogether (even for multiple tries). Maybe you should change something on your end instead of complaining.
I politely disagree with you. I already have my PE and I think the fee hike is too much too quick. I feel bad for those who will have to pay the surprise sharp jump in fees. I know that it would have been tough on me. I think what egdad said was spot on.

Why would Ric need patience for our opinions? We are entitled to our opinions. And we are entitled to express them on a public forum. I wonder why it bothers you.

Another thing that is bothersome is that they also recently bumped the registration forward by two months for first-time test takers (in CA at least). This causes the majority of June graduates, who would normally take the test in October, to have to take it the following April. And we have to pay the increased fees.

I politely disagree with you. I already have my PE and I think the fee hike is too much too quick. I feel bad for those who will have to pay the surprise sharp jump in fees. I know that it would have been tough on me. I think what egdad said was spot on.

Why would Ric need patience for our opinions? We are entitled to our opinions. And we are entitled to express them on a public forum. I wonder why it bothers you.
It's unfortunate that the fees would have been hard for you, but again Ric is trying to serve the majority here. And based on statistics, this test fee, is about 1% or less than the annual salary of the average CA civil engineer. You and others are suggesting ideal solutions, but the fact is California as a state is struggling right now. You really think the phasing of some test fees is on the top of the list? Again, if this was truly such a bothersome issue, find another company that pays better and covers your fees.

You are under the assumption that everyone who takes the CA PE exam has a job and/or a company that will cover the exam, fees, books, etc, etc that the exam entails for them, which is not always the case.

I am not averse to an increase in fees, just to the rate of the increase for those of us that have taken the exam previously. First-time takers may not notice the difference and would be none the wiser.

It's unfortunate that the fees would have been hard for you, but again Ric is trying to serve the majority here. Not sure what that means but I don't think anyone said he wasn't. And based on statistics, this test fee, is about 1% or less than the annual salary of the average CA civil engineer. Maybe, maybe not but it's irrelevant to the 300%+ fee increase. You and others are suggesting ideal solutions, but the fact is California as a state is struggling right now. LOL - So are its citizens. You really think the phasing of some test fees is on the top of the list? Not sure about any list but phasing seemed reasonable to me. Again, if this was truly such a bothersome issue, find another company that pays better and covers your fees. LOL. You got us. It's very difficult to argue such a reasonable, rational, logical, sensible suggestion such as the one you make. I'm sure everyone affected by the PE exam fee increases will consider your advice to get a higher paying job. ;)
Again, I wonder why this bothers you so much. Currently you only have two posts and both are to complain about people complaining about the fee hike. Did you sign up just to argue with those affected by the fee increase? People are entitled to express their opinions about increased expenses.

Ptatohead,I made this account precisely to argue with the points being brought up by you and others. But as a disclaimer, I have been around these boards for a while. besides your childish sarcasm that i don't care for, I was tired of hearing of the whining and complaining going on in this thread by you and others, when much of it is outside of Ric's and the board's control. I was shocked when people wrote dissertations to Ric about how they should have been reimbursed for gas money and airfare for the cancellation of the surveying exam. Again, you're free to express your opinion, but did ever you stop to think you're not just reiterating a trite argument with resolutions that's been argued by the board over and over and over again (hint it has been) prior to the rate increase? Would you have preferred that the board decreased the amount of registration but cut the testing dates to once a year to limit administration fees?

As for

You are under the assumption that everyone who takes the CA PE exam has a job and/or a company that will cover the exam, fees, books, etc, etc that the exam entails for them, which is not always the case.

I am not averse to an increase in fees, just to the rate of the increase for those of us that have taken the exam previously. First-time takers may not notice the difference and would be none the wiser.
As for egdad, you're putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did i assume EVERYONE has a job that will cover all exam fees. Merely, that if it was a significant strain on their lifestyle, perhaps they should invest time in researching and applying to other companies.

Ptatohead,I made this account precisely to argue with the points being brought up by you and others. But as a disclaimer, I have been around these boards for a while. besides your childish sarcasm that i don't care for, I was tired of hearing of the whining and complaining going on in this thread by you and others, when much of it is outside of Ric's and the board's control. I was shocked when people wrote dissertations to Ric about how they should have been reimbursed for gas money and airfare for the cancellation of the surveying exam. Again, you're free to express your opinion, but did ever you stop to think you're not just reiterating a trite argument with resolutions that's been argued by the board over and over and over again (hint it has been) prior to the rate increase? Would you have preferred that the board decreased the amount of registration but cut the testing dates to once a year to limit administration fees?

As for

As for egdad, you're putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did i assume EVERYONE has a job that will cover all exam fees. Merely, that if it was a significant strain on their lifestyle, perhaps they should invest time in researching and applying to other companies.
It's still very odd to me how passionate you are against people being upset about increased fees. I don't see the big deal, really. It's completely natural to be upset about increased fees. Increased gas prices, increased tuition, increased DMV fees, increased cable bills. It's normal. Heck, I'm still bummed that McDonald's moved it's mini meals from $2.99 to $3.19 and their McDouble from the Dollar Menu to $1.19. ;) Anyway, welcome Stevens. :) Have you taken the exam?

I think it's pretty fair to be upset about a 200% increase in fees.. We have no choice but to pay the price but it's upsetting and added pressure to pass... Ric says the average Civil Engineer passes in 3 tries... that's $2400+ (if u fail everything twice) vs the old $825. I took the test this past April, and I'm dying to know whether I passed the survey/seismic portion because I do not want to pay up close to $400 for 1 test...

I politely disagree with you. I already have my PE and I think the fee hike is too much too quick. I feel bad for those who will have to pay the surprise sharp jump in fees. I know that it would have been tough on me. I think what egdad said was spot on. Why would Ric need patience for our opinions? We are entitled to our opinions. And we are entitled to express them on a public forum. I wonder why it bothers you.
It's unfortunate that the fees would have been hard for you, but again Ric is trying to serve the majority here. Not sure what that means but I don't think anyone said he wasn't. And based on statistics, this test fee, is about 1% or less than the annual salary of the average CA civil engineer. Maybe, maybe not but it's irrelevant to the 300%+ fee increase. You and others are suggesting ideal solutions, but the fact is California as a state is struggling right now. LOL - So are its citizens. You really think the phasing of some test fees is on the top of the list? Not sure about any list but phasing seemed reasonable to me. Again, if this was truly such a bothersome issue, find another company that pays better and covers your fees. LOL. You got us. It's very difficult to argue such a reasonable, rational, logical, sensible suggestion such as the one you make. I'm sure everyone affected by the PE exam fee increases will consider your advice to get a higher paying job. ;)
Again, I wonder why this bothers you so much. Currently you only have two posts and both are to complain about people complaining about the fee hike. Did you sign up just to argue with those affected by the fee increase? People are entitled to express their opinions about increased expenses.
:rotflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! I am curious about the fee structure and the re-file application process if I am ONLY taking the California exams (ie Survey and Seismic). From the Re-file application, it looks like it will be $425 for just those two exams, is this right? That seems crazy high to me. I'm also confused who I am supposed to pay what, especially since I'm not taking the 8-hour again. Thanks everyone for your help :)

Hello everyone! I am curious about the fee structure and the re-file application process if I am ONLY taking the California exams (ie Survey and Seismic). From the Re-file application, it looks like it will be $425 for just those two exams, is this right? That seems crazy high to me. I'm also confused who I am supposed to pay what, especially since I'm not taking the 8-hour again. Thanks everyone for your help :)
Correct, you'll pay $125 + $150 + $150 to the state now (w/ refile app). Then $58.80 + $58.80 to the CBT center later.

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/exam_fee_matrix.shtml

Back