The Dreaded Wall

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMiller

Reaction score
Well, sadly, after encouraging an April test taker last night, I sat down to study tonight and feel like I have hit the wall. Any suggestions on curing this feeling? I tried just sitting down and reading some chapters, but felt like I was comprehending 0. I have worked a lot of problems (which is my main method of study) and feel OK about my preparation so far, but certainly not super confident. I might just take a night or two off and go to the gym or go paddling or something to give myself a break. Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be appreciated. BTW, I am taking the Oct. exam. Thanks.

-Andrew Miller

Take a break. It's OK. You'll be ready to hit the books again in a couple of days...you have to have to time to rejuvenate before the last big study marathon!

Good luck!

Allright-- you can do this! You are a smart guy/gal--hell, you got through your undergraduate program, have practiced for 4 years and are now ready to go to the next level. With only 36 days left, you will need to WISELY apportion your time to hit all of the points identified in the NCEES syllabus for the examination that you are signed up to take.

No mental downfalls, you can convince yourself that you will never pass the examination, OR you can convince yourself that this is the first and last time that you will ever take the examination. I took the latter position-- and passed, the first time. There is no reason to take the test 3 or 4 times to get a look at the questions, see how the problems flow or what other happy HORSES**T folks believe. TAke the test one time and be done with it.

Really understand what the questions are asking and how you get the answers-- understand what is behind the question. The truth of the matter is that the questions are all designed to be answered in 6 minutes or less. Now, what that means is that you should be able to identify, by inspection, what the question is asking. If you can do that, you are 90% of the way home. Of course, if the context of the question appears to be GREEK, then, perhaps, more preparation is necessary and required. A strong positive mental attitude is the key to passing this the first time. Remember, there are a hell of a lot dumber folks than you that have passed on the first time, if they can do it, you can as well.

There is no reason to worry about the minimum passing score or minimum number of right answers. You need to get them all right and there are then no worries. The folks that sit here and stew about the bare minimum needed to pass are, IMHO, wasting precious time. Nobody cares if you got a 99 or a 71 on the test. Either you pass or you fail-- black or white, light on/light off-- it is totally binary-- nothing else.

I would really work hard over the next 5 weeks and weekends-- I mean REALLY WORK HARD-- spend 10-12 hours every day each weekend on getting this material down-- COLD. Yeah, I know, hunting season is coming, the kids want to play, etc. etc. etc. For 5 weeks, really focus on this test, make damn sure that you have a robust understanding of all of the material on the syllabus and then take it-- and be done with it.

Here are where some mental tricks work also. If you have little children, tell them the import of the next 5 weeks, why you are going to be holed up while Mama/Daddy is going to be the primary caregiver-- at the end of the time, you can then get back into a real routine. If no kids, work just as hard and then take a long 4 day weekend to Las Vegas, San Antonio, Florida-- wherever you most desire and screw around.

You can do this-- hard, focused attention and energy is what is required-- after all, it is only 5 weeks and then you never have to do it again.k

Rest assured that I was not interested in seeing how many times I could take this damn test. I took it once and was done with it-- that has to be your plan. Again, we do not have children so that was not a problem. If you do have kids, make this sacrifice for 5 weeks and then make it up ten fold between now and Christmas.

I have great faith that following these ideas you will pass the first time! Good Luck-- you will do well.

Allright-- you can do this! You are a smart guy/gal--hell, you got through your undergraduate program, have practiced for 4 years and are now ready to go to the next level. With only 36 days left, you will need to WISELY apportion your time to hit all of the points identified in the NCEES syllabus for the examination that you are signed up to take.

No mental downfalls, you can convince yourself that you will never pass the examination, OR you can convince yourself that this is the first and last time that you will ever take the examination. I took the latter position-- and passed, the first time. There is no reason to take the test 3 or 4 times to get a look at the questions, see how the problems flow or what other happy HORSES**T folks believe. TAke the test one time and be done with it.

Really understand what the questions are asking and how you get the answers-- understand what is behind the question. The truth of the matter is that the questions are all designed to be answered in 6 minutes or less. Now, what that means is that you should be able to identify, by inspection, what the question is asking. If you can do that, you are 90% of the way home. Of course, if the context of the question appears to be GREEK, then, perhaps, more preparation is necessary and required. A strong positive mental attitude is the key to passing this the first time. Remember, there are a hell of a lot dumber folks than you that have passed on the first time, if they can do it, you can as well.

There is no reason to worry about the minimum passing score or minimum number of right answers. You need to get them all right and there are then no worries. The folks that sit here and stew about the bare minimum needed to pass are, IMHO, wasting precious time. Nobody cares if you got a 99 or a 71 on the test. Either you pass or you fail-- black or white, light on/light off-- it is totally binary-- nothing else.

I would really work hard over the next 5 weeks and weekends-- I mean REALLY WORK HARD-- spend 10-12 hours every day each weekend on getting this material down-- COLD. Yeah, I know, hunting season is coming, the kids want to play, etc. etc. etc. For 5 weeks, really focus on this test, make damn sure that you have a robust understanding of all of the material on the syllabus and then take it-- and be done with it.

Here are where some mental tricks work also. If you have little children, tell them the import of the next 5 weeks, why you are going to be holed up while Mama/Daddy is going to be the primary caregiver-- at the end of the time, you can then get back into a real routine. If no kids, work just as hard and then take a long 4 day weekend to Las Vegas, San Antonio, Florida-- wherever you most desire and screw around.

You can do this-- hard, focused attention and energy is what is required-- after all, it is only 5 weeks and then you never have to do it again.k

Rest assured that I was not interested in seeing how many times I could take this damn test. I took it once and was done with it-- that has to be your plan. Again, we do not have children so that was not a problem. If you do have kids, make this sacrifice for 5 weeks and then make it up ten fold between now and Christmas.

I have great faith that following these ideas you will pass the first time! Good Luck-- you will do well.

I started studying in early June and hit the books hard through mid August (~10-15 hours a week). I was out of town for a couple weeks and when I returned, hit a mental wall about a month ago. I couldn't force myself to pick up a book and when I did, it was useless. I decided to take a break and began studying again this past Monday. I have had (3) great nights of study this week I think the short break really helped me. I retained so much information and it's given me a huge boost of confidence going down the home stretch to the test. I plan to go all out the next 5 weeks of preperation.

BTW, I'm taking the SE Exam. I passed the Civil (Str) PE last October and used a similar study approach. I couldn't marathon through 4-5 months of constant study, but I also didn't think last minute cramming would be a good decision. I also change my study location from my home, work, or local library to give me different settings to focus.

Good Luck to everyone and don't stress too much.

I agree I dont see anything wrong with taking a night or two off from studying..

Time off is a good thing, when you get back go through the material and see what you dont know. This way there will be some fresh stuff to study and it goes a little easier and helps with depth overall.

Thanks for all the replies. When I started back up toward the end of last week I started focusing on the depth material. Up until that point I had been working on the breadth since that is what I needed the most work on. I am confident enough in my references and what I have studied/learned thus far to get me through the AM portion. Now I am working on my depth weaknesses and it is a little more "fun" since I have a stronger background knowledge of everything. i feel re-energized and am ready for the last push to the exam. Good luck to everyone and thanks again for the encouragement.

-Andrew Miller

I always enjoyed The Wall, what's there to dread?

pink-floyd-the-wall1.jpg

On a serious note, there is a point of diminishing returns. If your body is telling you to take a break, do so. If you are so burnt out when exam day comes along, your brain will be pudding and you will make sloppy mistakes from not being sharp. I took a spinning class when I was studying. I'm not much for exercise classes, and prefer to work out at my own pace/time, but being on a schedule made me hit the gym and blow off some steam.

If you like paddling, I know just the guys for that...

animal_house_760.jpg

So close to the exam! and I might have just exhausted myself from studying all this time!!

Any words of advice?

I'm in the same boat. I don't want to look at this stuff again. I don't think I should have tried to study every day. I should have created a schedule and gave myself days off instead of trying to study/do problems each day and take it out on myself when I don't accomplish enough. I guess I'll find out the day of the exam if I prepared the best way for myself. I was hoping other chemical engineers would reply to my post in the chemical engineering exam forum on whether or not I should focus more on doing practice problems or studying/reading the topics.

Putter with busywork. Create your index of indexes, make lists of what you need to take with you, etc. Any last minute references to order? Articles to print? Notes to bind? This will make you feel like you're accomplishing something for the test while your brain takes a rest....at least I hope it works that way because that is what I have been doing this week...

If you have any practice exams, I would suggest setting your workstation up as if you were taking the actual exam. Then take the practice exam and see how you do.

Hit the areas that you had trouble with. And with the exam in a few days, I agree with the above - take some time and get all your references in order.

Good luck.

Well, I was able to get back on the horse, ordered a couple additional practice exams and seem to be in the 30+ range out of 40. These are obviously morning based exams, but I know my codes and feel confident about the afternoon. Hopefully everyone else is feeling good as well. If I had to do it again I would have started earlier, but hindsight is 20/20. This last week I am going to re-review my codes, attend the Goswami Civil Camp on Tuesday and make sure I am well rested and organized for Friday AM. Good luck to all and thank you for the knowledge and encouragement.

-Andrew

Back