The 'dilemna' dilemma

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ther is nothing perfect about "clumpt"
Whenever I see "loose", I'm reminded of a poster in my driver's ed class. It was made by one of the students, had drawn picture of Mickey Mouse (pretty terrible picture I might add) and said in big letters "Mickey says 'If you booze you loose'".

Vishal I must confess that I have never seen "misspelt" before. We always used "misspelled". An online search says either way is acceptable. You learn something new everyday.
On the subcontinent of India British English is standard.

Cemetery is a commonly misspelled word guaranteed to give me fits when I see it. The word has the letter e three times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been pretty good at spelling since back home (India) it was a big deal in school. We used to lose points for any mis-spelt words so it was always a big deal to get our spellings correct.
Of late one of the misspelt words that bothers me is "Definately", it is NOT the correct spelling. It is spelt "Definitely", pronouncitation wise the misspelt word may seem correct but it is not. The blogs, posts that I read, I come across this very often.

Any such experiences?
See now, I was taught "misspelled", so I would have never known that "misspelt" is also correct unless I had looked it up. In fact, the Google Chrome spell checker doesn't like "misspelt".

On the subcontinent of India British English is standard.
Cemetery is a commonly misspelled word guaranteed to give me fits when I see it. The word has the letter e three times.
MGX, you are right about British English being the standard. Some very well known differences,

Color vs. Colour

Check vs. Cheque (as in bank check book)

Standardized vs Standardised (use of s as opposed to z)

Kerb vs Curb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_...ing_differences

Interesting link.

Is it right or wrong to use the following...

I've seen where people write about making a choice. "I'd rather xxx then yyy".

Wouldn't it be "I'd rather xxx thAn yyy". Then could be used if you were going to do xxx and THEN do yyy, but if it's a choice, shouldn't it be THAN?

Wouldn't it be "I'd rather xxx thAn yyy". Then could be used if you were going to do xxx and THEN do yyy, but if it's a choice, shouldn't it be THAN?

^^^ Correct. It would be thAn.
I would definately rather see TD's loose avatar then Supe's lose avatar. I gotta go to the liberry. Be back later!

You are correct, and the rule is especially true where xxx and yyy are chick's names, like Tiffany and Amber.

>

>

>

>

>

>

[Oh come on, you knew the thread was going gutter eventually.]

Last edited by a moderator:
20080508-q-lolcats-gorgeous-george-galloway-in-the-gutter.jpg

Latest posts

Back