The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How come no one's posting here but me any more... Did no one else order 50 lbs of bread flour like me??

The weekend roundup:

View attachment 17505

View attachment 17506

I got fancy with my scoring. I think both loaves turned out quite nice!

I also made a lemon poppyseed yogurt loaf cake:

View attachment 17507

It has a lemon syrup on it to give it that nice shiny glaze. It's quite good too!
Lol, I guess I got caught up on other things.

My sourdough starter (made using flour I milled from wheat berries I ordered) seems to be doing well. So far I've used it to make biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and pancakes (I can post pics later). I'm going to attempt another loaf of sourdough bread as soon as I can here...

Those treats look pretty amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you all are pros and dont buy box cakes but have you all been to the "box cake" section of the grocery store?  ours is more empty than the TP aisle!

I know you all are pros and dont buy box cakes but have you all been to the "box cake" section of the grocery store?  ours is more empty than the TP aisle!
Noooo box cakes for me! I have a cookbook called "Simple Cakes" (by Odette Williams) that is now my go-to for cake baking. And yes, I baked my own birthday cake last year and it was scrumptious.

I finally scored bread flour last weekend and made the "back of the bag" bread from KAF (but the website version). It raised funky (plus too long). Tasted great but was rather crumbly when I cut into it, especially as the loaf got to the end.

I've also made the miso chocolate chip cookies from A Cozy Kitchen a few times. 

And some buttermilk cheddar chive scones.

And I'll be making some buttermilk blueberry muffins soon.

I also scored a 1lb bag of yeast so I think more pretzels are in our future as well. 

I just...have not been baking.  Because if I bake, it would only be me eating it.  And I'm already getting fat since I have no gym and/or drive to exercise.  So baking for me is on hold until the quarantine lifts a little in my area.

...but I might make lemon bars since thunderstorms are coming this way and I won't be able to walk after work anyway.

BJ's had a chocolate truffle cake - basically a half sphere with chocolate on the outside, chocolate cake, some kind of chocolate buttercream/ganache inside, and what I'm pretty sure was about a full inch of chocolate pudding in one layer, and it was f*cking amazing.

BJ's had a chocolate truffle cake - basically a half sphere with chocolate on the outside, chocolate cake, some kind of chocolate buttercream/ganache inside, and what I'm pretty sure was about a full inch of chocolate pudding in one layer, and it was f*cking amazing.
*creepily stalking Supe because they're the only other person who understands my deep love for BJs and all things purchased from there*

All cakes from BJs are amazing.  The standard three-pack of pound cakes that I used to buy there were amazing!  Stayed moist no matter what type of nonsense you put it through!

i-see-what-5c39e1.jpg

the bananas are ready just right for baking so looks like we might be making banana bread at lunch today because I need the oven for dinner tonight.  Minisnick has been begging for it for some reason.  I utterly despise anything banana with the exception of eating a fresh banana.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been baking 2-3 loaves of sourdough every week. I turned my starter into 75% hydration so the bread has a nice light tanginess to it now. I still haven't been able to score a banneton, so I've just been doing the second proof in a greased bowl overnight in the fridge, and it works great, but the oil just makes the top of the loaf darker than I'd like.

I also just scored a whole bunch of yeast from a friend, so I'm going to be making pretzels again soon!

BLah, the house now smells like banana bread.  It is so horrible.  THe bread turned out okay in the looks department.  it just came out of the oven

I hide bananas in the cabinet just so we have an excuse to make banana bread when they turn brown :D

Also, when our oven died I got talked into buying this monstrosity: shouldn't this result in some high end baked goods?  I mean I know she is working through this pandemic and all but can we not squeeze out a lemon cake or two? AFAF?

Stove.jpg

Great job, @ChebyshevII PE! Yummm sourdough.

I made sourdough bagels this past weekend. I mean, nothing new for me. I have my favorite recipe and I am not sure I'll ever use another, though I would like to work some whole wheat flour into it at some point (right now, I am using up some KAF High Gluten flour I have, but have also used bread flour).

Anyway, bagels:

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

Back