The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just getting around to putting in some new marker lights on the jeep, when I swapped front fenders the new fenders didn't have parking lights so I ordered some CJ marker lights to drill through the front of the jeep.. The metal is cheap and its a 2.5" hole..

I'm thinking to get a good hole saw and use some masking tape or something before I cut into the car? Any recommendations on best way to do this without mucking up the grill?

I think you've got the right idea. Just mask and use a good bi-metal hole saw. I like Lenox but have used others in a pinch. Go the the parts store though and buy one of the touchup paint sticks. You don't want to leave the bare metal exposed once you make the cuts or it will start to rust and bubble the paint.

Saw a telsa drive by the work site earlier this week....also saw several porsches, corvettes, BMWs, mercedes...crazy ritzy neighborhood

edited for typo error

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen anyone driving a porch... How would one even get tags for it?
Oversize permit.

Well, I lived through the weekend. Car did great at the race, shaved 25 seconds off last year's time. Got a little too overzealous on Sunday. WAAAAAY too high entry speed on the sharpest corner on the course, coupled with gravel kicked up by the guy in front of me, ended up in a 1080 spin with me missing the guard rail by a HAIR. Serious pucker factor, absolutely stunned that I didn't total the car and end up in a wheelchair or worse after that one.

glad you made it out OK, Supe. Did anyone catch it on video for you?

The only person who would have gotten it was the corner worker, and I think he was too busy diving out of the way. Sadly, my GoPro died, and only captured 1 of my 6 runs (it would turn on for a second, and then shut itself off.)

Was driving to meet my family for dinner on Friday. Was stopped at a red light and when I started going heard/felt a couple "pops"/"bumps". Then a light came on the dash and it became really hard to steer the car. I was about to turn right into a busy road but decided to pull over into a gas station I was passing. I was lucky enough to be able to get it in the lot and out of the way. My dad came to look at it and discovered that the serpentine belt had come off but no damage was done to the belt. Looked thru my maintenance paperwork when I got home and saw that last July Ford had replaced the belt tensioner (and obviously the belt also). Had the car towed to the dealer the next morning which luckily was only 3 miles from the gas station and I had just renewed my AAA membership. $139 to replace the idler pulley. I'm glad it was cheap and didn't happen 2 days prior when I had driven to Ohio. Being stranded on the side of I-75 would not have been fun. It was awkward enough with all of the people at the bus stop staring at me.

Good thing it took a dump quickly. Had it kept running, it likely would have overheated (without the water pump spinning) and possibly warped a head/blown a head gasket.

That thing was freakin' awesome. They were having problems with it early on (fuel pressure) but turned the second fuel pump on later in the day and it started working great. Loved the wheel fans on it!

I gave some thought to importing one years and years ago, but then I sobered up.

Getting parts from Italy doesn't strike me as a fun thing. Sure am glad someone does it.

I'm pretty much in love with any old Group A racer from the day. I miss the B's, but they were waaaaay over the top. Lancia's 037 is my favorite there. I have some weird thing for Lancia's and Alfas. Wouldn't own either one now, but in my younger days, sure did give it some thought.

Not really automotive but I figure it's close enough. This little trip just got a little more expensive. I think I ran over something either on the runway or taxiway when I landed. The landing roll was perfectly normal. Plane started pulling hard left as I taxied in. Kind of pi$$es me off since that tire was fairly new.

View attachment 5741

Last edited by a moderator:
Back