The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always waxed everything unless it has a texture to it...you can never get the wax out of the nooks and crannies. Even if they're plastic wouldn't they still have the same paint and clearcoat as the rest of the car? Used to even do the windows because it's just a cheaper version of Rain-X. Now I'm just lazy and buy the Rain-X washer fluid.

paint is paint wax it all.

I also second the windows. on my show cars and bikes and all. wax it all. even on chrome its a good barrier and makes it easier for bugs to come off.

thanks for the input. I've always used Meguiars rim cleaner on my wheels, but I've heard waxing those is also the way to go. Not sure I want to make that switch though

I only wax the paint. I have a finishing spray that I use on everything (including windows) once I'm done waxing.

^^^ As long as it rains enough to actually rinse it off. We typically get just enough rain to put "dots" in the dust...

I always swear that my next car will be water-spot gray. I always end up going for either black or dark blue though.

Rain does a good job, but I swear by a once of year thorough detail and wax to keep the car looking great. My silver 01' Tacoma looks almost as nice as when I got it after a good waxing. It's like putting money in the bank. The longer it stays nice, the longer I own it. And I might keep this thing until my 3 year old can drive (if the engine lasts).

I am going to try and own our new 4runner for 10+ years too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I washed my beater once... in 5 years... about 5 years ago.

When I did wash it, the water in the bucket afterwards was redder than the paint left on the car.

that stuff might have been too good. automotive paint industry may not want clear coat to last so long. or maybe it was bad for the enviro?

Help me out guys... my brain is fried...

/>http://www.cars.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2002/specifications/

so the towing capacity for the jeep is 5,000 lbs if I'm reading that right. It appears that the hitch is factory installed so am I safe to assume that this is also up to the 5,000 lbs?

If this is the case, then I should only be limited by the trailer I choose from U-haul?

EG, that 5000lb capacity is assuming a driver of 150lb and no other equipment / weight in the towing vehicle. Provided the hitch is factory installed and a class 3 or heavier, you can handle the 5000lb load easily enough. I think most of the older truck bumpers had a similar rating on them too, so you *should* be good to go.

I've seen Jeeps tow much more than that. I would agree that you are limited to the U-Haul trailer availability and size. They will ask what you are towing it with and should size the trailer appropriately.

EDIT - I just went and looked at the uhaul site. The 6x12 enclosed (largest available) has a filled capacity of around 4800lbs (including trailer weight). You can easilty tow that with your jeep.

Last edited by a moderator:
lmao, so I have to factor in the fact of two peoples weight and the animals that will be bouncing around inside the jeep?

I'm looking at these because I didn't want to load up most of the electronics into the POD's that are already gone. I'm actually looking at the 4'x8' trailer since we are talking about two televisions, two dog cages, a computer tower, about 4 suitcases of clothes and about MAYBE 30 more boxes of stuff.

I know my old truck had a higher towing capacity on the engine than the bumper, but when I crawled under the jeep to look for stickers on the hitch (class III) I discovered that it must have been factory installed since nearly the whole dang thing is encased in the plastic covering thing.

Thanks for the confirmation Bly... I was planning on reserving a trailer online but got nervous when U-haul started asking me questions.

I'm looking at these because I didn't want to load up most of the electronics into the POD's that are already gone. I'm actually looking at the 4'x8' trailer since we are talking about two televisions, two dog cages, a computer tower, about 4 suitcases of clothes and about MAYBE 30 more boxes of stuff.
I've hauled more using my wife's itty-bitty Rav4. You'll be fine. :thumbs:

Back