The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is the hot rod revival in your town? The ATX is having a big hot rod show this weekend, and people really get into the whole image of hot rodding...is this just something here or is it big everywhere?

http://lonestarroundup.com/

Man, too bad about the rust. I love these things.

3M13Nf3Hd5I25N25F8d49abf00e1129911e87.jpg

Rare 1987 Hatchback SI, fuel injected 12 valve motor. 119700 miles runs and looks great. Rust underneath. I bought this for a project tuner car. To many other irons in the fire to get done. Serious only 814-934-4781 after 1500 before 2000

That looks like one of my coworkers cars...she had to get the odometer replaced because it stopped counting miles.

That's back when Honda knew how to make light, fun, practical cars. I like those even better than my old 89 Civic Si, despite having a beam axle instead of IRS.

The CRX is still one of the most dominant autocross cars in existence.

I always liked the CRX, but it was never really practical for me. Too small and the insurance was a lot more expensive than it's Civic brother.

Went in for a routine oil change this past weekend and was told I needed a new battery ($150) and spark plugs ($220). 2005 Ford Escape with 108k miles on it. I've replaced the battery once before and have never replaced the spark plugs. Got the new battery and spark plugs for $108 and labor for $0.

Haha...sort of. Usually I just pay to have that stuff done bc I want it taken care of immediately. But I didn't feel like dropping $400.

108k out of a set of plugs is pretty good. Depnding on the access, I pay to have them changed...some cars really suck trying to get at the plugs.

You might consider a new set of wires, too. It can really help performance.

$150 for a battery...it must be a pretty nice one.

$220 for plugs. I assume it's a 6 so that's ~$37/plug. Again, must be nice ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 4 cylinder and the plugs are easily accessible right in front. My dad did use a pen with a piece of rubber on the end to pull them out which worked surprisingly well. They quoted the plugs at $16 each.

On my transverse mounted GM V-6's I let the mechanic deal with access next to the firewall. He might charge me $5/plug but I know he's got a parts mark-up so it doesn't bother me much.

On my transverse mounted GM V-6's I let the mechanic deal with access next to the firewall. He might charge me $5/plug but I know he's got a parts mark-up so it doesn't bother me much.

That's what I'm going to do when the Maxx gets more miles on it. I have no desire to torture myself with getting to the plugs on the firewall side.

That's what I'm going to do when the Maxx gets more miles on it. I have no desire to torture myself with getting to the plugs on the firewall side.

All hail GM! My mom had a 2000 Grand Prix GTP... Thank God we never had to replace anything in it. It seemed that you had to remove the engine to access the alternator. I couldn't imagine the plugs.

Where are the ill change your plugs baby? Comments???

I did the plugs on my v8 Durango.. $50 bucks total, 1 hour, and loss of some skin on knuckles...

I'm gonna get me some cool mechanics gloves to save my skin...

All hail GM! My mom had a 2000 Grand Prix GTP... Thank God we never had to replace anything in it. It seemed that you had to remove the engine to access the alternator. I couldn't imagine the plugs.

No joke. I was filling up the washer fluid on my wife's Impala SS, and realized that not only would I never change the battery (had USAA do it when it died), I'd never eff with the air filter either. In both cases, braces have to be removed.

Runs like a scalded dog, though.

Batteries have gotten expensive, I couldn't find one for the Cherokee for less than $130. But $220 for plugs is outrageous--you sure that didn't include anything else? Coils? Timing chain?

I second the thought to replace the plug wires. Eventually the insulation will start to break down and you'll start getting shorts, although this is probably more a factor of age than mileage.

The tried and true Tracer is running with 21 year old wires with no issues. I changed the plugs about a month ago. The old plugs were gapped 3x the original spec. Little bummed that I didn't get any better mileage after the change.

Back