The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dex, breaker bars are great tools; especially with the cheater pipe. They work great when you can't get to the blue wrench!

Lumber, yer welcome. Good luck on your other projects.

Yanked the front bumper off the RX7 last night. Will be picking up a 4x8 sheet of ABS on Monday to craft an air dam for it to make the front splitter more effective. Ought to get interesting!

Yeah, that sounds like a chipped tooth. Pretty easy to check for it, just pull the starter and look inside the housing. Had a car do that for quite a while; we just put it in gear and pushed it 5' to 6' to get it to where the starter would catch again.

Usually they are a pain to fix, either have to pull the engine or drop the trans. Good luck.
They are a pain. The last one I did involved dropping the trans. and took the better part of a day. The worst of it is, I'll probably have to fix it anyway in order to get rid of it.

rolling up to work as aspiring Nurse Practitioner while displaying the throwback 80's motif isn't encouraging.
That's because it's downright intimidating. Is it a Formula?
Nope, just a faded maroon mullet attractor. Probably looked exactly like this in it's prime:

maroon88.jpg

Now, it's 1/4 the way to this:

BodyworkDay1c.jpg

Yanked the front bumper off the RX7 last night. Will be picking up a 4x8 sheet of ABS on Monday to craft an air dam for it to make the front splitter more effective. Ought to get interesting!
Would love to know more about working with ABS. How do you work/shape it, etc. Could you do a DIY thread or something? Have some projects in mind, but have never done worked with polys/fiberglass/carbon etc.

You can rock a Camaro easily enough. Its called Motley Crue and should be played at maximum volume from the cassette tape player.

You can rock a Camaro easily enough. Its called Motley Crue and should be played at maximum volume from the cassette tape player.
If I get to dig into fixing up the bird, I'm going to wire it to play "Here I go again on my owwwn... Goin' down the only road I've ever known..." over the speakers every time the turn signal's used. Probably put a toggle switch on it tho... for resale purposes.

If I get to dig into fixing up the bird, I'm going to wire it to play "Here I go again on my owwwn... Goin' down the only road I've ever known..." over the speakers every time the turn signal's used. Probably put a toggle switch on it tho... for resale purposes.
Sure thing Frank the Tank. :thumbs:

Sure thing Frank the Tank. :thumbs:
No I really can't, we've got a big day planned tomorrow... gonna go to home de... okay, just one.... just one
frank-the-tank.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Would love to know more about working with ABS. How do you work/shape it, etc. Could you do a DIY thread or something? Have some projects in mind, but have never done worked with polys/fiberglass/carbon etc.
Sure, I can make some notes as I go along. Nothing fancy here really, as I'm really just making a gradual curve with it. May make a diffuser out of it too though, but will let you know. The main thing is using a fairly coarse blade when cutting, and cutting slow. It likes to melt and fuse back over on itself.

The wifes car is finally showing signs of needing replacement. She drives a hand-me-down 85' firebird with a 350/400. She went to start it on Monday on her way to her clinical site and ended up having to take a cab. I got home and got it into the garage, the starter or flywheel seems eff'd. It cranks for a little, then *wzvvvvvvv* stater spins out. Try again, same thing. From previous experience, this is either a broken tooth on the flywheel ring gear or on the bendix gear. Told her I'd look into it on the weekend, but she doesn't want to invest time/money and is ready for something new. I don't blame her, rolling up to work as aspiring Nurse Practitioner while displaying the throwback 80's motif isn't encouraging.

We're waiting for our house refi to close (couple days) and then we're going shopping. I'll probably put some time/effort into fixing up the bird, so we can at least try to unload it. Will be looking at 4runners for replacement.
So I dug into the bird over the weekend. Put the car up and took out the starter. Rolled the flex plate, all the teeth on the ring gear were good (what a relief). New starter and battery slapped back in. Tried to crank, and it started acting like it was starved for gas w/ a hint of gummed up spark plugs. Back to parts store for a new fuel filter and some starting fluid. Couldn't find an inline can filter anywhere underneath, so I replaced the stock paper one in the 4bbl. Shot the intake with the go juice and the beast roared. Ran it for a good 10 min. as it started to simmer down, and burn all the junk out. Changed the squeeky belts, and ran it again. Everything seemed to be running okay.

Wife went to start the bird this morning, and couldn't get it to crank over. UckFe, So guess what I get to do again tonight? Yeah, that's him right there... he was up in it, lovin' it strong.

mr snick took the company car in for an oil change today...they couldn't get the oil filter off. Looks like the last place he took it to used some sort of pneumatic tool to put in on and overtightened it by a lot. The place wouldn't touch it further. now he has to find someone that will.

I prefer to use the screwdriver method when it comes to taking off oil filters. It makes one hell of a mess, but they come off everytime...

Gotta be careful with the newer filters and the screwdriver method; their making them with much thinner metal these days. Also, they've extended the threads so far into the filter, it's tough to not bugger 'em up! I've seen quite a few get ripped apart before they ever break loose. Goes to show that one must ensure that the filter o-ring is to be properly lubricated before installation! Otherwise, yer in for a hell of a time getting it off!

Back