The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was looking for a 4x4 to get me through the snow last fall, one the vehicles I was looking for was a Cherokee. Unfortunately due to the numerous off-road clubs and the huge demand for 4wd here in CO, I couldn't find one with less than 200k miles for under $3500 that could be considered safe to get on the highway with kids in the back seat.

^Yours is a grand cherokee. Totally different vehicle.

Capn, I have a 1996 Ford Bronco I'll sell you for cheap!

Dex, I got my '97 Cherokee Country with 85000 miles on it for $4500 from my dad in AZ. I think it was a reasonable deal.

Yeah, but driving it back down here would double the purchase price in fuel alone. Plus, I know you guys salt the roads like they're a large order of fries.

I ddi think about Broncos, they're cheap, but I'm looking for something a tad smaller and less fuelish.

yes, the power wagons are big, but they can pull you jeep sideways, lol. The one has a hoist on the front end, think of the fun you can have with that

I loved my '96 Bronco. Bought it for $2k, sold it for $3k only 6 months later. Granted it had 230k miles and cost over $100 to fill the **** tank...

Yeah, but driving it back down here would double the purchase price in fuel alone. Plus, I know you guys salt the roads like they're a large order of fries. I ddi think about Broncos, they're cheap, but I'm looking for something a tad smaller and less fuelish.
You're correct on all counts. I can get about 15 mpg on the highway, maybe 10 around town. And it is quite rusty.

^Yours is a grand cherokee. Totally different vehicle.

Dex, I got my '97 Cherokee Country with 85000 miles on it for $4500 from my dad in AZ. I think it was a reasonable deal.
I apologize all high and mighty owner of awesome vehicles, but I'm lazy and didn't feel like typing it out... if you want to get technical on me, it is a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4...

now that we have that established, I was actually trying to just point out the price and mileage

Yeah, but driving it back down here would double the purchase price in fuel alone. Plus, I know you guys salt the roads like they're a large order of fries. I ddi think about Broncos, they're cheap, but I'm looking for something a tad smaller and less fuelish.
You're correct on all counts. I can get about 15 mpg on the highway, maybe 10 around town. And it is quite rusty.
My parents had a 78 Suburban with a 454. It got 14 mpg no matter what.

yes, the power wagons are big, but they can pull you jeep sideways, lol. The one has a hoist on the front end, think of the fun you can have with that
When I look at solutions, I look at all angles. I'd take a look at a Subaru Brat if the opportunity presented itself.

Yeah, but driving it back down here would double the purchase price in fuel alone. Plus, I know you guys salt the roads like they're a large order of fries.

I ddi think about Broncos, they're cheap, but I'm looking for something a tad smaller and less fuelish.
Toyota Land Cruiser...FJ6x (pre-1989) or FJ40 if you can find a cheap one...They run forever with little maintenance and have 4WD. Even high mileage would be OK for the type of use that you're talking about...

Land Cruisers bring silly money here. I've seen ones that look like they barely survived Taliban attacks bring a cool 6 grand. I don't get it, myself, but there you are.

Yoda pickups from the eighties are the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
We got one of the new Explorers a month or so before I left to come back over here. Our old Explorer was pushing 105k and we'd heard all kinds of stories about the tranny going at ~90k so we figured we'd replace it before I left so I wouldn't have to worry about any car problems while I was gone.

We ended up with a totally loaded Limited. The only option we didn't get was the Ecoboost engine. I'd read too many reviews that it wasn't enough power for the car and the difference in mileage wasn't worth the extra $1k. The inside looks like the space shuttle...not a button in sight and the only gauge is the speedometer. Everything in there is voice or touch screen controlled. The other nice thing about getting it just before I left is that, as much as it pained me to pay that much for a car, I'm making enough while I'm here that it should be ours free and clear by the time I get home.

(not ours but same thing)

FOREXPL7.JPG

Got the Catalina yesterday, what an ordeal.

Thing barely fit on my trailer. Got it up to its temporary resting place, and it was so heavy, the slight downward angle of the trailer was enough for it to crush the trailer jack (folded it over on itself). Got that out, put a jackstand under it, need to get a replacement jack.

Then, the stupid air ride compressor wouldn't kick on (probably a loose wire on the switch, or a blown fuse). So, I couldn't figure out how to roll the window up, because the car wouldn't raise high enough to clear the trailer fender when I opened the door. Ended up having to have junior crawl in, roll up the window, and pull her out through the half-glass in back, and will probably have to get a racing jack under half the car next week to get it high enough to open the door.

Off to a great start!

as i am emberassed to admit my wife has a prius (she bought it) but for fun we were putting our vehicles in Kelly Blue Book..

I also have a 2005 Dodge Durango, 5.0 L, V8, tow package, etc.. valued at $5000 on KBB

Her 2005 Toyota Prius 1.5L Engine, NO OPTIONS... $14,000 ????

I re ran it several times but ****!!! Only difference is my durango has 135K miles and she has 45K miles, but on a V8, thats not that many miles...

I dont know if it would sell for that but we are seriousl thinking about giving it a try!!!

I re ran it several times but ****!!! Only difference is my durango has 135K miles and she has 45K miles, but on a V8, thats not that many miles...
There is another difference.

One is a Dodge, the other is a Toyota. That right there explains some of the difference. Chrysler products have notoriously low resale value.

Back