The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bly- Ive dug through a few Denver junkyard when I was trying to find a wiring harness for the old jeep last summer and found they are not any cheaper than just buying - but they are good if you are trying to find something that isn't sold "online" or something not made anymore - 

So far the bumper and the piece above it was $142 on Amazon "Prime" - Curious to see if I need to find any bolts or other items once we get into it..
I learned this after my Dad needed a rear bumper for his Sierra. I went for the "middle of the road" price wise with a new one and it worked great.

A lot of those new bumpers come with new hardware so maybe you can just unbolt from the frame and not have to mess with the old bumper at all.

Bly- Ive dug through a few Denver junkyard when I was trying to find a wiring harness for the old jeep last summer and found they are not any cheaper than just buying - but they are good if you are trying to find something that isn't sold "online" or something not made anymore - 

So far the bumper and the piece above it was $142 on Amazon "Prime" - Curious to see if I need to find any bolts or other items once we get into it..
The other thing you have to verify is that there isn't anything else bent/broken. A dented bumper does a great job of masking bigger underlying issues like damaged impact attenuators, sensors, mounting brackets/clips/pins, and even frame damage.

When I replaced the front clip of my Camaro after a fender-bender, the only visible damage was a cracked license plate bracket and creased plastic bumper cover. It ended up being over $1500 damage once we got everything taken apart to see what was damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool.  Does he have any clue?  What a great b-day gift.
He does not.

Got the new brake lever on yesterday and, of course, had to take a few laps around the neighborhood to make sure it was working.  Taking a spin in the back yard, on the other hand, was not the best idea.  It's still super muddy because we've been getting rain for about 3 straight months.  I dumped it and sprained my elbow....mini bike still runs fine though.

the other damaged part that is green comes primed and I was just going to plasti-dip spray paint that black to match?
$20 for a can of Rustoleum roll-on truck bed lining is light years better than plastidip.

He does not.

Got the new brake lever on yesterday and, of course, had to take a few laps around the neighborhood to make sure it was working.  Taking a spin in the back yard, on the other hand, was not the best idea.  It's still super muddy because we've been getting rain for about 3 straight months.  I dumped it and sprained my elbow....mini bike still runs fine though.
 nice.  break it before your son even sees it.  :lmao:

$20 for a can of Rustoleum roll-on truck bed lining is light years better than plastidip.
The upper part of the bumper came yesterday, its basically a black piece of plastic so I may just leave it. If I can get 2 years out of it for the youngest to finish high school its going on craigslist for $800 bucks (if it survives the next two years of my youngest kid)

I think he liked it.  I was a little worried that he'd be afraid of it...Jack's not the bravest kid...but he hopped on and took off around the neighborhood.  I did have the throttle screw turned in a few turns to keep the speed down a little bit.  Just need to get him a better helmet now.

Bike.jpg

cool.  He'll be the envy of all of his friends.  did you crank Born to Be Wild when you gave it to him?

Speaking of which, this year is the 50th anniversary of Easy Rider.  A local theater is going to show it on the big screen for $10 on Saturday.  I told my wife we might have to go.

Well, he made it a day and he was in the driveway asking me to unscrew the throttle limiter.  Picked the boys up from nanas house after work yesterday.  After I showed him how to start it and do the strap on the helmet, he took off and I didn't see him again until it started getting dark. This is the kid who would, literally, not leave his room all day if you let him between the laptop and the iPad so I'd say the "dirt bike", as he likes to call it, is a success..

0c918862b5c48d7cf433fefcd635023f.jpg

05d7bfe69ce9aeec7a34febcf4a1c7c8.jpg

Yep more damage.... looks like we will
Only be attaching 5 bolts instead of 6......

Our SUV has been in 5 accidents in the 19 months we’ve had it.

a. Rear ended by neighbors Mexican nanny in a snow storm

b. Friend backed into a right fender and door

c. Wife backed into a friend’s car. 

d. Hit and run: someone backed into same right fender

e. Tree fell on it.  

Which did the most and least damage?

e. Tree fell on it.  

I'm guessing wife backing up into a friend's car was the least damage to your SUV (probably more damage to the friend's car).

e. Tree fell on it.  

Genuine question...
Why did you give the ethnicity of your neighbor's nanny, but not your friend, your wife, or the tree? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Genuine question...
Why did you give the ethnicity of your neighbor's nanny, but not your friend, your wife, or the tree? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
From the south would have been more PC.  (less experience driving in the snow).  Btw wife isn’t white either if you need to know. 

We were waiting for a car in font of us to take a left turn and she plowed into us.  She was going way too fast.  

The tree did very little damage unbelievably.  I’ll have to find that picture.  

Ugh.  I think I hit a man pothole a while ago and and my bumper got jostled/is not happy and it's getting worse (I might have mentioned this earlier in the thread/maybe not?).  I had taken it to a guy earlier this year and he said I should get a stiffener bracket from toyota, like $20, and that a majority of the repair would be taking off the front bumper and putting it back on (maybe $150-$200 in labor costs).  I didn't get it fixed at the time/didn't think it was worth it if it was just popping in the corner of my bumper near the hood...but now the whole edge is popping out, as well as the corner of the passenger side.  So I think I'm scooting over to that guy again, saying I'm an idiot, and seeing how long it'll take to be finished (I'm one of those people that I'll never get my air conditioner refreshed, but I like it when my exterior looks okay).

Just...don't need this right now if I'm potentially getting a new job that requires a multi-state move.  😐

Have a picture?  Often there are these plastic push rivets with metal clips that can break or pop loose.  You can get them at the dealer and fix yourself in a few minutes.  There is zero reason that anyone should be paying $200 for a loose bumper cover.

Back