Thailand Soccer Team

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually heard the opposite that they took out the weakest first?
I'd be a little surprised if they went that route. Unless the doctors figured that they were sick enough that needed the earlier hospitalization and the more favorable exit environment, but not so sick that they would jeopardize the rescue of the stronger victims.

Maybe they went with the weakest ones first?  Here's quote from the on-going breaking news blog on CNN:

The four boys who were evacuated from a cave in northern Thailand Monday were in better condition than those who were rescued Sunday, Narongsak Osotthanakorn, rescue mission commander, said at a press conference moments ago.

Osotthanakorn would not elaborate but did say all the boys who have been rescued are in good condition.

He added rescue workers will need at least 20 hours to prepare for the next operation, but timing could change depending on weather and water levels. 

Monday’s rescue was carried out four to five hours ahead of schedule due to favorable conditions. 

All rescue workers and divers are resting in preparation for tomorrow’s operation.

Officials will meet late Monday local time to discuss Tuesday’s plans.

A Clear map of the latest flooded areas.

BRESSAN_Tham_Luang_cave.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
11 out.  Down to one boy inside plus the coach.

I'm so relieved this story has a happy ending.

I hope all the kids and the coach can recover not only physically, but emotionally. I can't imagine what 2+ weeks trapped in a cave will do for the psyche. 

So with all said an done... was this just media over-hyped?  

I do not doubt it was potentially dangerous as a diver did die or that the boys would have survived if left alone, but the efforts actually required to save them were all pretty low tech, strait forward, and rapidly advanced.  

I'm still waiting to hear that all of the rescuers have gotten out of the cave safety. One already died during operations so it's not a sure thing that everyone will get out.

I can't imagine what 2+ weeks trapped in a cave will do for the psyche. 
Really bad things.

So with all said an done... was this just media over-hyped?  

but the efforts actually required to save them were all pretty low tech, strait forward, and rapidly advanced.  
Over-hyped, no. I didn't really see it as top line coverage anywhere, or if it was it got pushed down fast. It wasn't covered much until they found the survivors.

but the efforts actually required to save them were all pretty low tech, strait forward, and rapidly advanced.  
K.I.S.S.

Saw this graphic of the escape set up - pretty cool and a great idea to not make the kids have to deal with the tank on their back.

3c33b99656b58b23e855a4e8e4a7f111.png

The news pics showed a ton of gear brought into help the boys - lights, blankets, etc I assume and hope they wait till after the rain season ends before going back for any of that ****..

sure the graphic is great plan until you get to that restriction that's only ~20 inches wide......

Honestly, this is just another example of a lot of arm-chair social media quarterbacking of a situation that none of us were really "in the know."  Yes, the media may have given us a good general idea of what was going on, but the fact that a professional rescue diver died leads me to believe this ended up being a lot more complex than any of us will ever understand. 

And I think we can all agree the rescue divers must normally carry their balls in a wheelbarrow

And again where is the go fund me for hookers and blow for the wild boars!

Being that young and faced with - stay here and die or try and escape and probably die...

They deserve it!

but this way the kid doesn't have to take his BCD / Tank off and push it through - only the professional
absolutely just the arm-chair QBs will say "look how easy it is".  It's my understanding that the dives had to remove their stuff individually to traverse the small passages as well as pass the kid off to each other and no-doubt keep him calm too.  Nothing short of a miracle that no one was lost (except the unfortunate happening with the one rescuer).

absolutely just the arm-chair QBs will say "look how easy it is".  It's my understanding that the dives had to remove their stuff individually to traverse the small passages as well as pass the kid off to each other and no-doubt keep him calm too.  Nothing short of a miracle that no one was lost (except the unfortunate happening with the one rescuer).
I think part of it is most people don't have any experience or ability to relate to this incident.  Its Scuba Diving, in a dark cave, narrow passages, with with fast currents.  As I understand it from you guys, that's difficult and a very niche experience.

Personally speaking, my only comparison is snorkeling in a pool.  I just though they they could strap a mask on them and pull them through the tunnel with a winch, so its probably best I deal with Electricity and not people as my job.  :)   

I think any sort of rescue attempt in a wilderness / cave setting is going to be extremely difficult, no matter how it may look from the outside. Having been involved above-water in a very difficult and traumatic wilderness rescue, I can say that getting someone out who is unable to help themselves is something that can seem impossible from the ground-level/responder view, and ultimately ends up just like it did here, with a lot of pretty simple carrying of people out, but under great difficulty and duress. It's very different to be the one on the ground who has to move someone who is injured and/or helpless through a rugged obstacle vs. someone watching from a TV set. At least these kids weren't incapacitated, that would have made this virtually impossible.

There are now reports that they were heavily sedated, and carried and swam through and out of the cave via stretchers. There were earlier reports that they were given medication to reduce anxiety and keep them calm, but not to the point of knocking them out. The trouble is that those medications tend to also dull the senses or make people drowsy, which isn't a great combination for a physically and mentally challenging task. Taking them out via stretcher probably reduced risk by removing the kids unpredictable behavior from the equation. My guess is that they did some practice runs with mannequins on stretchers to see if it was viable. And once they proved it would work they implemented it.

It's all starting to make sense now why they took out the weaker first. If they were sedated and carried out, then they can't accidentally cause disruptions to later rescues.

Back