Thailand Soccer Team

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cave diving in clear yet dark water scares the **** out of me (only stuck my head in a few) can't imagine a kid who can't swim dealing with that - they may have to force the regulator in their mouth for a long swim

Almost like they need to make them unconscious and put a full face mask regulator on each one and tow them out
^- that semi pro- arm chair QB to you ;)

I saw a video on LinkedIn - haven't seen it anywhere else and it showed the kids strapped to a gurney type thing - it looked a little big to fit through some of the 20" holes they mentioned - but I don't honestly think anyone except those that did it really knows what happened - but just glad they are out and hopefully recovering.

I am glad stories like this exist - most of humankind is still fairly awesome (not "glad' the kids had to be in this situation - but "**** happens")

Last edited by a moderator:
The sedation makes sense - it is easy to panic with scuba gear and panic is by far the most dangerous thing in a situation like that. 

The sedation makes sense - it is easy to panic with scuba gear and panic is by far the most dangerous thing in a situation like that. 
I still remember when I got my certification.  First time you actually go in the water they made you do it in the shallow end of the pool in case someone freaks out the first time the go underwater.

they do and its usually just pop your head under water a few minutes..

I got certified around age 15 but the wife didn't get hers until mid 30's - she went through the pool and open water dives (FLA Springs) really good but the first time in the ocean she freaked out after a few minutes under water - went immediately up, got on the boat and said FTS (in my head I was counting the thousands of dollars I had wasted)

luckily some 20 year old Fabio looking boat "1st mate" calmed her down and took her back under on the next dive and has since then been okay & now has no issues doing dives that push the boundaries of recreational diving - but for a minute I was like, ****. this was a waste of time and money!

First time I did the pool dive, in maybe 15 feet, I freaked when we did the breath without the mask thing. 

I was fine in the ocean except on one dive where we started inside a big cave and went out into the ocean, and then down to 110 feet or so. I started feeling a little panicky at 60 feet and tried to signal to my buddy (ex GF) that I wanted to return, but she pretended she didn't understand so i sucked it up - there was really no way out at that point. When we got down to around 90 feet I started narcing (?) and was then totally relaxed. 

Back