ten state standard

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

zxu

some sample questions about water treatment design referred to the ten state standard. what is this reference. any electronic version? worthy to take it to the exam?

thanks

some sample questions about water treatment design referred to the ten state standard. what is this reference. any electronic version? worthy to take it to the exam?thanks
It's in the appendix of the CERM. I don't remember what page, and right now I'm too lazy to go look! (sorry) :) I don't know if it's available on-line. It's only a couple of pages, so if you don't have the CERM, I'm sure someone more ambitious than I would be willing to scan it and email it to you :D

I don't believe that the Ten States Standards is located within the CERM, and , to my knowledge, it is not available on-line anywhere.

Unfortunately, it is copyrighted material and cannot be posted on this site, however, it is available for purchase at www.hes.org. The actual title of the book is "Recommended Standards for Wastewate Facilities"

I do believe it is in the CERM. When I get to the office, I post the page number.

Follow up: The Ten States Standard is Appendix 29.A in CERM9

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 9th edition it's on

A-63 and A-64

but it's just selected areas. I'm not sure about the 10th edition?

I have a PDF copy of the full thing... I can try to email it (if I can find it) if you send me your email address in a PM (I think the file is too large to upload here).

-Ray

I found the selected part in CERM. thanks a lot.

I am wondering if there are questions actually referrring to 10 state standards.

^ It really shouldn't matter... you'll have the CERM with you. Take a few minutest to skim through it before you test and you should be okay for any question that comes up on the exam...

I am wondering if there are questions actually referrring to 10 state standards.
Remember the thing with Ten State Standards is that it provides DESIGN criteria for a number of water collection, water distribution, and wastewater treatment systems/units. In many cases you can obtain the same information from Metcalf & Eddy or similar text when it comes to typical design criteria for units or distribution/collection systems.

I wouldn't become too obsessed over having this specific reference .. :2cents:

JR

I wouldn't be worried about it for the test either ... as long as you have and are familiar with Metcalf & Eddy, at least. But if you are going to be doing anything related to wastewater treatment as part of your job, I would definitely recommend getting a copy of the full publication.

And I do recall there being an earlier version of the Ten State Standards available on-line somewhere, if I can find it I'll post a link. (don't count on it - take the pdf from Ray if you can).

I have the pdf also if Ray didn't find it. I already sent it to Zxu- if anyone else wants it, let me know.

Edit: Dleg, we just replied at the same time :p That's the copy I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
150+ pages in the full text?

Would the CERM be enough to answer the questions we might face?

^I think you'd be fine with only the info that's in the CERM (assuming the CERM appendices include the ten-states-standards exceprts that the ENVRM does). I would only bring the actual document if you have the space, because you never know...

When doing practice problems, I found this text to be utterly useless. Metcalf and Eddy had everything much more organized and easier to find. One specific question that should have been in there, we never found, was in the CERM but took us almost 15 minutes to find, and took one lookup in the index of M&E and I had the table. This seemed to be the trend. I'm not saying don't take it, but I wouldn't look there first.

^^^ Good plan!

FWIW, I didn't bother with 10-States Standards. I came to the same conclusion you did.

JR

Back