Tax season 2016

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I thought was fucked up was that she had to pay like 2% into state unemployment tax- like if she laid herself off or something ...

It was the biggest Nickel and dime experience I have ever had - actually worse than having a merchant credit card account in terms of hidden fees that never go away..

We didn't incorporate, just schedule C and the half dozen supporting schedules which was bad enough.   I don't remember state unemployment tax

the worst is if you've ever tried to pay a household employee (aka nanny) the proper way.  The paperwork and hassle is insane.  It is no wonder most people ignore it.  

Looks like we'll be going the quarterly payment route as well.  Ended up owing $4200 this year.  FFS.  Shitty McFuckin' Obamacare screwed us, too.  She had to get Obamacare since she was self-employed and we weren't married.  She had dirt cheap estimated payments based on her estimated income, which more than doubled from the previous year.  Once we married, she had to pay back the difference, which was over $3500.  It only helped marginally that the "self employment" clause let her deduct it as a business expense.  

Well, figure I would post the final result now that the refund was approved...  it was a good year because of moving and some major repairs needed at the rental property so the refund was $4900 from fed.; $386 refund from state #1; call it even for state #2; call it even for state #3 and we owed $26 for state #4.  Time to start planning to call it even for next year I guess!  

We came in similar.   A little less though.   I prob should withhold less. 

Back