tablet/ipad/PC recommendation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA_PE

engine near
Reaction score
My uncle who is pretty technologically illiterate was diagnosed with cancer and is less mobile than he used to be.  I told him that getting online might be a good outlet for him to catch up on stuff and communicate with people (he currently has no cell phone or internet service).  He seems intrigued and wants to get online.  I have an ipad2 and was going to show him how to get online and surf the net with it, but I think something like a MS surface might be better.

Suggestions?

Sorry to hear about your uncle.  If he's comfortable navigating a computer, then a Surface would work since it's basically a laptop in tablet form.  The iPad or an Android tablet may be easier to use since he can just click on the app he wants to use.

Indeed MA, sorry to hear about your uncle. It's not often I recommend Apple products to anyone, but they are good for those technologically illiterate IMHO. MS Surface will offer more versatility, but will also require periodic maintenance (updates, malware definitions, etc.). With the iPad he won't need to do much with once he gets past the interface learning curve. Does he have ISP options in his area? Otherwise a broadband hot-spot could be another alternative. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses.  He's got Verizon in his house now (tv and phone). I need to check his agreement and add wifi.  I'm going to show him the iPad and a laptop to see what he prefers.

He liked the iPad so I need to buy him one.  I amazed at the variations available.  I think an iPad2 will do just fine.  Either 16 or 32 gb (16 should be fine) what is the difference between the ipad2 and the ipad2 air?  Where the best place to get it?  Online?  Best Buy?  Best Buy has an online 32gb for $299.  Looked like the best deal.  Any advice?

I'd spring for the Air.  It's a lot lighter, which makes a difference when holding it during use.  I have an iPad 2, and an iPad 3 air, and I still use both of them.  I make sure that the 2 is stationary when I'm using it because holding it hurts my hands.

I've had the iPad 2 since it came out in 2011 and it's held up great.  I haven't tried the Air, but like wilheldp said, it's supposed to be much lighter so easier to hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume the newer iPads rectified the wireless connectivity problem the earlier ones had?

I had an iPad for 10 years and never had any issues with it.. Battery Life is still as good as the day I bought it

He liked the iPad so I need to buy him one.  I amazed at the variations available.  I think an iPad2 will do just fine.  Either 16 or 32 gb (16 should be fine) what is the difference between the ipad2 and the ipad2 air?  Where the best place to get it?  Online?  Best Buy?  Best Buy has an online 32gb for $299.  Looked like the best deal.  Any advice?
You might be able to find something more reasonably priced on Gazelle or blinq.

Best buy is showing and ipad2 air 16GB for $350, amazon the same thing for $343.  I called the Apple store and they don't sell a 16GB.  Apple offers only a 32GB or 128 GB.  $399 for the 32GB.  I think I might just buy from the Apple store.  (note that these are all new and not refurbished.  I'm going to go new)

Any thoughts/comments?

Best Buy does have price matching if you don't want to pay/wait for shipping...not sure if there are restrictions as to which sites they price match to though.
They wouldn't match those though since those stores sell used electronics.

26 minutes ago, MA_PE said:
Best buy is showing and ipad2 air 16GB for $350, amazon the same thing for $343.  I called the Apple store and they don't sell a 16GB.  Apple offers only a 32GB or 128 GB.  $399 for the 32GB.  I think I might just buy from the Apple store.  (note that these are all new and not refurbished.  I'm going to go new)

Any thoughts/comments?

Seems to be the best price you can get right now.  Black Friday will probably have some iPad sales, but I understand if you don't want to wait that long.  Last year, Target had a $150 gift card with an iPad purchase.

thanks for the affirmation.  No, I'm not waiting until thanksgiving.  Apple store it is.

but I'm going through the Apple store.  do they have one?

really?  for another $100? Is it worth it?  I've never had an issue with mine and the only issues are with my kids who break things.

FWIW, I never got it on mine and never had any issues.  Apple gives you a year warranty and pretty much any credit card will extend that an extra year.  Apple Care extends the original one year warranty by a year and also provides support for that additional year. 

I never buy the extended warranties on electronics.  It's my belief that either they don't work correctly right out of the box (which is covered by the initial warranty) or they will work fine though the entire extended warranty period.  Except if there are kids involved and the warranty covers misuse....then it's worth it.

Latest posts

Back