Table for various media sampling

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly_Gal

Reaction score
Hello out there,

I have been reading the post and read one in particular that read " HAving a table with sampling methods for various media".

Wondering if anyone has a link to this table. I have the sampling methods for air frm NAAqs but not for soil and ground water. COuld smeone point me in the right direction of where I could aqcuire the table.

Would like to use it next week.

Thank you so much for your response.

^Sampling methods and requirements are most defintely something you need to have a good reference for on the exam. But I am unaware of any comprehensive table or other reference that covers all media like that. My references had little bits and pieces of sampling informaiton scattered throughout them, but not enough to cover it all.

I wonder if anyone has a good recommendation for an overall sampling reference?

^That's only for water and wastewater. It would be nice to have a reference that covers sampling methods for air, solids wastes, and soil, too. I just happen to be unaware of any such reference.

^Sampling methods and requirements are most defintely something you need to have a good reference for on the exam. But I am unaware of any comprehensive table or other reference that covers all media like that. My references had little bits and pieces of sampling informaiton scattered throughout them, but not enough to cover it all.
I wonder if anyone has a good recommendation for an overall sampling reference?
Thank you DIeg,

I just recvd my copy of CFR part 260 this evening.

It looks like it has some parameters for wastewater.

Salvato, Environmental Engineering, 3rd Edition. Page 619. Has all the air sampling methods for the NAAQs listed. very handy.

Thank you DIeg,I just recvd my copy of CFR part 260 this evening.

It looks like it has some parameters for wastewater.

^Agreed. Salvato is great for air sampling methods. Salvato is a great reference, period. Well worth the price.

I just got the Salvato text, 5th Edtiion and it is very impressive!

^That's only for water and wastewater. It would be nice to have a reference that covers sampling methods for air, solids wastes, and soil, too. I just happen to be unaware of any such reference.
I am not aware of any consolidated reference that combines the standard methods/references for such sampling - I have always had to go to several sources since most environmental sampling will have some regulatory minimum criteria associated with it. For example: 1,4-dioxane is typically measured using EPA Method 8270; however, the PQL using that method is much higher than the drinking water criteria in Florida. You can read more about it here --> http://www.vacuumdistillation.biz/14dioxane.html

I was part of the investigation team that helped identify the emerging issue of 1,4-dioxane and the problems associated with consistent sampling from a few of the sites I managed while working for the Florida DEP. :)

While there isn't a consolidated, handy reference - EPA does publish lists of acceptable analytical methods by media. Perhaps there might be a way to consolidate from those lists?

Maybe a money-making opportunity is knocking on the door?

JR

Back