Swine Flu

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?
Reaction score
So, my 7YO has had a "cold" since Sunday. Not running a high fever, maybe 99 at worst, just a little draggy and you can tell she doesn't feel good, but NOT sick enough to keep her out of school.

She needed a prescription refilled and the Dr. wanted to see her again, so my wife picked her up at noon, the doc listened to her lungs and said, "hmm, sounds a little rattly, why don't you take her over to the hospital and have her tested for swine flu".

I'm thinking to myself... WTF? She's not running a high fever, no real cough to speak of, this is a waste of time and money.

The test came back positive.

So, did she have it? Was it a false positive? Or is she just good at coping with it?

Do we still get her dosed up whe the swine flu shots come out?

I feel great. My wife after running her into the Dr. and finding out the results of the test said she didn't feel 100% today, and my 5YO was coughing last night.

Just don't know what to think about all of this.

so you are one of those that sends their kids to school sick so everyone else can catch it. j/k

regardless, unless you fall into one of the at risk categories the likelyhood of receiving an N1H1 shot will be slim....so I've heard.

Both of my kids have it right now. The 3-1/2 year old had a 104 degree fever yesterday. Tylenol was the only thing that would get it down. He tested negative for the flu but the doctor said that the test is wrong 40% of the time. My reaction was, how much fucking money did the test cost because I'd have almost as good of results by flipping a coin.

The doctor said that the way he presented with symptoms was the key. He was running around at the park at 5 in the afternoon and by 7 he had a 103 degree fever. He also had a headache. Those are the main symptoms I was told to look out for.

From what I can tell, swine flu is no worse than regular flu.

I wasn't aware that they had a test specifically for H1N1.

H1N1 has blazed through our island since about July, when I and my 5yo son had it. No one here has died of it yet, though two people on Guam have (both had other health issues). Typically, based on how it hit me, my son, and everyone else I know, it is not that severe. In all these cases, it began as a cough, then a fever and body aches for maybe two days, and finally some diarrhea. But after 2-3 days, the worst was over and a slow recovery from the cough began.

I wouldn't worry much - just try to keep the kids hydrated and keep on the lookout for the stuff the professionals are advising to be worried about (dehydration, etc.)

FXW called me a few weeks back and said the 9-yr old had swine flu, but she exaggerates so I called the doctor myself.

I asked the doc how they knew it was swine flu and was told that it's flu, swine flu is the one going around right now, and so they're treating every case as swine flu. Her overall attitude was more like "Myeh - swineflu", so I decided not to get worked up about it. Junior was out for a week from school and that's it.

FXW called me a few weeks back and said the 9-yr old had swine flu, but she exaggerates so I called the doctor myself.
I asked the doc how they knew it was swine flu and was told that it's flu, swine flu is the one going around right now, and so they're treating every case as swine flu. Her overall attitude was more like "Myeh - swineflu", so I decided not to get worked up about it. Junior was out for a week from school and that's it.
I asked my wife after going home last night and she said something similar... They tested my daughter for influenze, and she came back positive for A and B. Therefore, since swine flu is type A and it's a little early for that season... "she is assumed to have swine flu - here's your tamiflu prescription, get rest, hydrate, and send her to school on Monday if she's fever free for 24 hours with no meds"...

Funny thing is, she tested positive and she hasn't ran anything over 99 fever. I think it was a false positive.

Back