Surveying Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Jersey State Specific Surveying Exam: 2 Testing locations

Test format: 40 multiple choice questions

Number of people taking the Surveying exam:

At the southern location: 3

At the northern location: No more than 20 (probably closer to 5).

How long does it really take to grade 23 tests....Elementary, middle and high school teachers do it almost every night and those classes are sometimes for more than 30 people.

Just needed to vent...

I know what the canned response is, we see it all the time, but yeah I often wonder if the process is as efficient as it is claimed to be. I want to trust NCEES, because I think they are good folks and do this right, but you look around and all of a sudden CBT for FE and FS is possible with much earlier results than in the past. So if they had to do this equating and psychometrist analysis then, why do they not need to do it now?

I really am curious how if it wasn't possible to make it any faster before, how it's possible now with CBT. Not that I expect it to make a difference for the pen and paper test we took for surveying.

To get licensed in Jersey you need to pass the Jersey PS exam and also the New Jersey Law exam. The law exam is a 20 question take home, I kid you not, test that you mail to PCS when your done. They give you 3 weeks to complete it.

So I got an Email from PCS in mid April saying the results would be posted on or before May 9, 2014....but as of 30 seconds ago....nothing. I know, I know, there are still 15 hours (EDT) left in the day....but come on. Why give a date if you're not going to meet it.

You have a good point, but having dealt with the service reps at the NJ board for some time now, I think PCS is still a better option then them.

It's been my experience that the people in the Delaware Association of Professional Engineers are the most helpful when it came to applying for the PE and the Staff at the Ohio Board, I feel bent over backwards to make getting my surveying license easy.

I guess when PCS said "On or before May 9, 2014" they didn't really mean "On or before May 9th 2014".

PCS is funny...I called on Friday morning to ask about the results; it had been a week since they told me they would be issued. On the phone, and then with a follow up email, they told me that the didn't even expect to receive the law exam until later this week. Then poof...at around 5:00 I get an email with the results.

So I'm happy to announce that I've passed the Law exam...with a 95%...but we still need to get the results for the State portion, which, per the email on Friday would be another 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm not sure I believe the 4-6 weeks part....but at least we're making progress.

Thanks again for the creators of this forum for giving me a place to vent.

Again Sapper,
I apologize for getting your hopes up with that Texas thing.

The biggest consequence for me is that if the results are good, that I never have to take an exam again.

For you though, you're taking another test in October...so what's it matter if it's one test or two... :laugh:

Back