survey

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Survey test is just plain hard. Its just that they do not give you enough time. I passed on the second time after taking Reza's seminar. I felt his book was the best reference + study problems. I know if I had one extra hour I could of gotten 100% on the test. I literally had to guess around 8 problems because of lack of time. You have to know which problems to skip to save time + you cannot afford simple mistakes.

Yes... very well said.
Especially the lines:

"The challenge with me now is to respond to exert more efforts better equipt my self in the exam battle."

and

"My situation puts me in a very challenging situation to prove to my self that if others did it, so I can."

Well these statements can all be good and fair when you are coming from wonderland. However, even if some one pass the test after failing ten times then no credibility is left. Probably, one should opt for some other profession. Sorry.
I don't know about that, I have worked with plenty of engineers that passed the test on the first try, would not let them design a swing set or dog house. I put more into the fact that someone is willing to get that hard "C" then easy "A". It matters that the person is willing to give it his all. My biggest problem is time, and I am working on speed for the next test. I am willing to put in the extra work myself.

^ agreed to a point.

I think a second chance is fair, but third, fourth, fifth and sixth chances are just too many, especially when you have four months to prepare each time the exam is offered after getting back your results (6 months if you know you didn't pass right after taking the exam).

The PE exam is more about testing one's analysis and critical thinking in a finite amount of time rather than how well they can design a skyscraper or a nuclear plant. The excuse of being a bad test-taker is just an excuse. Employers will measure their employees' worth based on their performance on the PE exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ agreed to a point.
I think a second chance is fair, but third, fourth, fifth and sixth chances are just too many, especially when you have four months to prepare each time the exam is offered after getting back your results (6 months if you know you didn't pass right after taking the exam).

The PE exam is more about testing one's analysis and critical thinking in a finite amount of time rather than how well they can design a skyscraper or a nuclear plant. The excuse of being a bad test-taker is just an excuse. Employers will measure their employees' worth based on their performance on the PE exam.
Yeah, that is why the CA PE is specifically designed for county engineers and Caltrans trying to make the rest of the guys worthless!!!!

this was my second attempt at surveying, in my previous attempt all i needed was "one marginal" to pass the test.In my first attempt i was ill with the flu, but I almost pass.

in my most recent attempt in Oct 2010, I was superprepared,I used the guideline for the test , I made sure I was well prepared in every item of such list. I answered even 10 more problems than previous test. Yes , even thought the test was most unconventional, and i felt i had done much better than my first attempt.

I failed , and my test results were worse than the first time?. This frustated me, i called the board, and asked if there was a problable error in feeding the scatron scheets into the computer grading your test answers. I requested if I could check my answers against the answer key, I was told that I cant do that , that my test answer sheet does not longer exist, becouse they are all destroyed after the grading.....

This is frustating, I feel I have the right to know how many questions I answered correct, to know what was the stablished passing score. The way the system is makes me feel very unsure. What is the purpose of all this secrecy?

the way the systm is does not help you at all to see how you stand,

i know the material well, however now I feel I do not have a chance, because only the board knows how we did, and there is no way for you find out otherwise, other than is reported to you.....

frustated to say the least. :wacko:
I'm on the same boat. I practiced Coumo's, Mansour's, Reza's, Chelapati's, and 120 practice problems. I was confident that I answered 39 questions correctly; I had to skip 5 and guess 6. I was taking civil and suyveying Exam in October 2010. My friend who had only the survey did not do good in the exam. He was so frustrated after the exam; but he passed it.

The board may have different grading rules based on how many exams the student is taking or they may just manipulate state specific exams to balance their budget.

Everyone is graded the same.
this time I will be requesting that my results be not destroyed. Just in case I want to check my answers agaist their answer key. After all I guess under the Freedom Act we have every right to such information. It is frustating not to know how many questions we got right, as well as what is the passing score.

I hope all you guys do not have to go thru the same experience, becouse it is expensive, we put a lot of time and effort in our preparation , to get this type of obscure results.
how to request the board not to destroy our results???

is there a way we can check our answers or check out scoresheets?

^ agreed to a point.

Yeah, that is why the CA PE is specifically designed for county engineers and Caltrans trying to make the rest of the guys worthless!!!!
People who have passed have the right to say anything...(whether it be 1st attempt or 10th)

people who still have to pass it have the right to ponder.....

if one says that the guy passing it in first time is better than the guy passing it in repeat attempt then that certainly is not the case..if that true then guys who passed it in first attempt were certainly, atleast most of them the class toppers. If its a question of credibility then the employers should employ thoses people from CA pe who got all 55 correct in 2 hrs!!!!

^ agreed to a point.

People who have passed have the right to say anything...(whether it be 1st attempt or 10th)

people who still have to pass it have the right to ponder.....

if one says that the guy passing it in first time is better than the guy passing it in repeat attempt then that certainly is not the case..if that true then guys who passed it in first attempt were certainly, atleast most of them the class toppers. If its a question of credibility then the employers should employ thoses people from CA pe who got all 55 correct in 2 hrs!!!!
"were not the class toppers"

Latest posts

Back