survey

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky101

Reaction score
I am very much freaked out at Survey Exam. I have done Reza's book multiple times, 120 solved multiple times, Cuomo, and some tests. I also took the Survey class of ASCe (Junior) and have also done the problems from that review course. I don't know what else to do any suggestions...please. The April 2010 test wasy very hard. Please help..

I am very much freaked out at Survey Exam. I have done Reza's book multiple times, 120 solved multiple times, Cuomo, and some tests. I also took the Survey class of ASCe (Junior) and have also done the problems from that review course. I don't know what else to do any suggestions...please. The April 2010 test wasy very hard. Please help..
So you've taken the test before, taken a course, and studied hard. You're ready! All you need to do between now and the exam date is relax. :)

Good luck!

You are not the only one feeling that way, I put a lot of time into Survey and still I feel very shaky...And it's the idea of doing a problem in 3 min that freaks me out the most. I don't really have an advice, rather a comment that we are putting even more pressure on ourselves by panicking....Maybe we need to go to the test with the attitude that I will do my best but...

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not the only one feeling that way, I put a lot of time into Survey and still I feel very shaky...And it's the idea of doing a problem in 3 min that freaks me out the most. I don't really have an advice, rather a comment that we are putting even more pressure on ourselves by panicking....Maybe we need to go to the test with the attitude that I will do my best but...
I got my results today and I Failed. I am devastated. I studied reallly really hard. I don't know what else to do...

I got my results today and I Failed. I am devastated. I studied reallly really hard. I don't know what else to do...
I'm still waiting my results, I only need Surveying and took it for the second time in October. I know what you mean, I know all of the material, but Jesus Christ they don't give you enough time!. In Oct. I was getting through all the problems smoothly, and the next thing you know I have 10 more to go with no time, and most of these problems are the harder ones, so I was forced to guess. I thought I did OK in April, but waiting for the Oct results is driving me nuts.

101, perhaps time/speed is your problem? It sounds like you know the material. Try timing yourself while taking practice exams. Are you using a test-taking strategy to assign a difficulty level to each problem before doing them?

101, perhaps time/speed is your problem? It sounds like you know the material. Try timing yourself while taking practice exams. Are you using a test-taking strategy to assign a difficulty level to each problem before doing them?
I will work more on my time/speed factor. But Practice exams are nothing like test. I need practice problems that have complex figures which I can't find in any references.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for that.

this was my second attempt at surveying, in my previous attempt all i needed was "one marginal" to pass the test.

In my first attempt i was ill with the flu, but I almost pass.

in my most recent attempt in Oct 2010, I was superprepared,I used the guideline for the test , I made sure I was well prepared in every item of such list. I answered even 10 more problems than previous test. Yes , even thought the test was most unconventional, and i felt i had done much better than my first attempt.

I failed , and my test results were worse than the first time?. This frustated me, i called the board, and asked if there was a problable error in feeding the scatron scheets into the computer grading your test answers. I requested if I could check my answers against the answer key, I was told that I cant do that , that my test answer sheet does not longer exist, becouse they are all destroyed after the grading.....

This is frustating, I feel I have the right to know how many questions I answered correct, to know what was the stablished passing score. The way the system is makes me feel very unsure. What is the purpose of all this secrecy?

the way the systm is does not help you at all to see how you stand,

i know the material well, however now I feel I do not have a chance, because only the board knows how we did, and there is no way for you find out otherwise, other than is reported to you.....

frustated to say the least. :wacko:

I dont feel that it is a survey exam, more of a time speed corrdiantion exam. If they allowed 30 more minutes 90% would pass, and many would get 100%. The transportation problems are similar to the exam and the traverse, not much else you can do. They are really creative in making a really simple topic more complex and it takes time to figure what they are doing and how to come up with a solution.

Good luck, maybe we can list sources or problems, a couple of obvious to start the list

120 problems

Reza Workbook

there are some problems in the Caltrans stuff Caltrans Survey Study

I dont feel that it is a survey exam, more of a time speed corrdiantion exam. If they allowed 30 more minutes 90% would pass, and many would get 100%. The transportation problems are similar to the exam and the traverse, not much else you can do. They are really creative in making a really simple topic more complex and it takes time to figure what they are doing and how to come up with a solution.
Good luck, maybe we can list sources or problems, a couple of obvious to start the list

120 problems

Reza Workbook

there are some problems in the Caltrans stuff Caltrans Survey Study
I think all the references are extremely misleading. A good reference that reflects the test is not there. So, the people who have never practiced land development and transportaion engineering are the losers.

I think all the references are extremely misleading

Not really they are just trying to teach surveying, the references are good, however, the board is very creative in how they ask questions. I have these books and they are good and very detailed, now its just a matter of learning and trying to retain enough to pass this mess of an exam.

I do not have any background in surveying, land development and/or transportation. Enve is not a good base for surveying.

this was my second attempt at surveying, in my previous attempt all i needed was "one marginal" to pass the test.In my first attempt i was ill with the flu, but I almost pass.

in my most recent attempt in Oct 2010, I was superprepared,I used the guideline for the test , I made sure I was well prepared in every item of such list. I answered even 10 more problems than previous test. Yes , even thought the test was most unconventional, and i felt i had done much better than my first attempt.

I failed , and my test results were worse than the first time?. This frustated me, i called the board, and asked if there was a problable error in feeding the scatron scheets into the computer grading your test answers. I requested if I could check my answers against the answer key, I was told that I cant do that , that my test answer sheet does not longer exist, becouse they are all destroyed after the grading.....

This is frustating, I feel I have the right to know how many questions I answered correct, to know what was the stablished passing score. The way the system is makes me feel very unsure. What is the purpose of all this secrecy?

i know the material well, however now I feel I do not have a chance, because only the board knows how we did, and there is no way for you find out otherwise, other than is reported to you.....

I'm on the same boat. I practiced Coumo's, Mansour's, Reza's, Chelapati's, and 120 practice problems. I was confident that I answered 39 questions correctly; I had to skip 5 and guess 6. I was taking civil and suyveying Exam in October 2010. My friend who had only the survey did not do good in the exam. He was so frustrated after the exam; but he passed it.

The board may have different grading rules based on how many exams the student is taking or they may just manipulate state specific exams to balance their budget.

this was my second attempt at surveying, in my previous attempt all i needed was "one marginal" to pass the test.In my first attempt i was ill with the flu, but I almost pass.

I'm on the same boat. I practiced Coumo's, Mansour's, Reza's, Chelapati's, and 120 practice problems. I was confident that I answered 39 questions correctly; I had to skip 5 and guess 6. I was taking civil and suyveying Exam in October 2010. My friend who had only the survey did not do good in the exam. He was so frustrated after the exam; but he passed it.

The board may have different grading rules based on how many exams the student is taking or they may just manipulate state specific exams to balance their budget.
This is extremely painful. I did not do Chelapti. So for the next test I am relying on that one. Probably, we just have to wait for the luck to be good to us.

Everyone is graded the same.

Everyone is graded the same.
this time I will be requesting that my results be not destroyed. Just in case I want to check my answers agaist their answer key. After all I guess under the Freedom Act we have every right to such information. It is frustating not to know how many questions we got right, as well as what is the passing score.

I hope all you guys do not have to go thru the same experience, becouse it is expensive, we put a lot of time and effort in our preparation , to get this type of obscure results.

The only difference between us, re-takers, with those who passed the exams is acceptance. There's a difference between reacting and responding for it will tell us how we achieving our goal.

I am not ashamed to disclose that this will be my 6th time to take the survey exam. I passed the rest of exams already. I can't blame anybody or any circumstances why I failed many times but ME. I would accept that I had not enough knowledge and experience on the subject and I was not smart enough in my preparation. The challenge with me now is to respond to exert more efforts better equipt my self in the exam battle. Reacting (complaining) is not in my vocabulary, it just drag me down to difficulties.

I am now in a mission where communication and references are hard to find. Holding an AK16 and a calculator are the only weapons I have. My situation puts me in a very challenging situation to prove to my self that if others did it, so I can.

I can't blame the California State Board for making it hard for the challenge. It makes me more confident and proud to be a PE holder if surpassed this challenge. I salute all those who passed, they are my inspiration for they are not just hard workers but more so smart guys.

At the back of my gun, a post-it sticker with the challenge: "EMPTY YOUR MIND, STAY FOCUSED!".

Yes... very well said.

Especially the lines:

"The challenge with me now is to respond to exert more efforts better equipt my self in the exam battle."

and

"My situation puts me in a very challenging situation to prove to my self that if others did it, so I can."

Yes... very well said.
Especially the lines:

"The challenge with me now is to respond to exert more efforts better equipt my self in the exam battle."

and

"My situation puts me in a very challenging situation to prove to my self that if others did it, so I can."

Well these statements can all be good and fair when you are coming from wonderland. However, even if some one pass the test after failing ten times then no credibility is left. Probably, one should opt for some other profession. Sorry.

Back