Superelevation of a Curve Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4237ft

Reaction score
I am confused about the application of a curve with a negative superelevation. Where is this used? Does a negative superelevation mean that the cross-slope is sloping down toward the outside of the curve?

To give a little more background. I was working a problem with a -4% superelevation, and when I looked at Table 3-13b - Minimum Radii and Superelevation for Low-Speed Urban Streets in the 2011 Green Book (Exhibit 3-16 in the 2004 Ed.), I didn't even see the negative values for "e" because my eyes went to the middle of the table and I found the radius for a curve with a super. of 4%, which gave me the wrong answer. So I guess I'm a little confused on the sign notation and application of a curve with a negative super.

Thanks!

I believe page 3-53 of the 2011 GDHS explains negative superelevation. Along with the tables following it.

you're both right. se is positive when the outer edge of pavement (ep) is higher than the inner ep along a curve and negative when the outer ep is lower than the inner ep.

I believe page 3-53 of the 2011 GDHS explains negative superelevation. Along with the tables following it.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back