Suggestion for how to carry in books?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I would like to add, last time I took the test, the proctor has no problem with me having 2-3 books on the table the same time. But careful with loose paper or pencil marking. Not sure if they change the pencil marking rule...I saw a few dude got kicked out from it and Proctor randomly searching people reference books for pencil marking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I would like to add, last time I took the test, the proctor has no problem with me having 2-3 books on the table the same time. But careful with loose paper or pencil marking. Not sure if they change the pencil marking rule...I saw a few dude got kicked out from it and Proctor randomly searching people reference books for pencil marking!

Nowhere in the NCEES Examinee Guide (March 2015 edition) does it say anything about pencil markings. Unless this is a state law? But I have not seen anything on Ohio's board either. I have several pencil markings in one of my reference books, as well as on many pages in my homemade binder.

Nowhere in the NCEES Examinee Guide (March 2015 edition) does it say anything about pencil markings. Unless this is a state law? But I have not seen anything on Ohio's board either. I have several pencil markings in one of my reference books, as well as on many pages in my homemade binder.

Take a look at a similar discussion here: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=24880#entry7264180

Assuming there are mult-floors take the elevator as you haul these books. Saw a poor soul hauling his books up the escalator. Right as he got to the top they all tumbled down. There's enough on your mind already without having to worry about picking up a load of reference material.

I brought a suitcase (1 size up from a carry on). I wish I had done the milk crate/hand cart method. The suitcase was so heavy, it would have been nice to have it broken into the smaller crates. They let me keep the suitcase next to me, but I happened to be seated at the end of a row. Otherwise I would have probably had to stack things next to me.

I've said this a few times over the years, but ignore people from outside the Environmental discipline when they tell you to only bring a few references that you really need and that you used while studying. The Environmental exam has roughly 50 qualitative questions and is an extremely broad exam - I used about 20 references while studying and I honestly used nearly all of them on the exam too. I had time to look things up in a couple different books if necessary and having lots of sources for somewhat obscure regulatory questions may have made the difference between passing and failing.

I am glad you chimed in on the Environmental perspective because I have like 15 binders (1 for each section air, hw, sw, water quality, air, hydrology, blah blah) and books total. There is so much to know for this wonderful exam, that I rather take more in case I have "time" to flip through the books for those qualitative questions.

Civil4life, thanks for the insight on MD's testing site. I took the FE in Oct 2013 and I recall how badly my back ached after the exam. Good luck!!

Ugh, I'll be glad when this is over lol

They instituted this rule with less than a months warning for the October 2013 test in Maryland, which resulted in me leaving a few books home.

During the next year I tore out pages and erased pencil marking on dozens of pages in numerous books. Of course after all that work, is it wasn't a rule for the October 2014 test.

I used two crates strapped to a folding dolly. Here's the thing I forgot: rain. It didn't happen that day, but it could have.

I took Civil/WRE and I agree that you should bring a lot of books. I sat with a chemical who had like two books. I used most of mine, even if to just verify answers I knew by memory. I think this varies by discipline. I had two crates. I am taking power this month and I am at about two crates again. Need to find a dolly.

I'm a chemical engineer and kind of wondering if less is better at this point. I've got lots of stuff that I could potentially bring but am now wondering if 2 or 3 core books would be sufficient. Like do I really need expanded steam tables in US and SI units (both separate books) or are the ones in the review manual sufficient. People say the FE manual can be useful, but is it worth bringing vs. the time it might take to go through it? Do I go overboard, bring a lot and hope not to use them, or will that just slow me down because I'll be tempted to search through them unnecessarily. Etc etc.

just run over the pencil markings with a highlighter. Quick, easy and it shows that you had it in place before the exam.

4 wheel fold up cart, two milk crates. When you get into the exam area, put the crates on their sides and use a tie down strap to hold them into place. You now have a book case off of the floor and an extra shelf to keep an extra book or two, or your extra calculator. I have a binder that has an index from Goswami all in one and the index from the CERM. It also has the Appendix from the CERM. Nothing worse or takes up more time then flipping back and forth in those books trying to find something. The cart also makes it easier to put a clear garbage bag over it bringing your books in if it is raining or trying to navigate puddles. Don't forget that wonderful seat cushion either. http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/platform-trucks/folding/folding-platform-truck-with-solid-steel-deck-400-lb-capacity?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKEAjw3YipBRDL2bHhjLmFkQsSJADtzktjRoKRs91S7-TBv85QpwckuyhMkSMKcKVuxH_CwqcGiBoCvCLw_wcB

Last edited by a moderator:

just run over the pencil markings with a highlighter. Quick, easy and it shows that you had it in place before the exam.

It's been discussed in another thread. I'm taking my chances. I have too many pencil markings throughout. It would be a waste of valuable time highlighting entire pages of notes.

I'm just not going to put my pencil near my reference books when I am looking in them. I'll set it down on the scantron.

I am carrying my books in this IKEA cart:

raskog-utility-cart-gray__0154992_PE313176_S4.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50227973/

I'm using two shelves instead of three which makes it easier to access the books. Also the top shelf will be a little lower so the columns will prop the books at the ends.

Latest posts

Back