Subtracting Phasors

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzy

Reaction score
You cannot just subtract phasor quantities by their magnitude, correct? In the Chelapati book, page 3-54, they subtract 1036 angle -6.9 kVA from 1135.5 kVA to get 117.4 kVA. That's an error, correct?

Does anyone know if there is an errate available from the Chelapati books anywhere? I'm sure this is an error and there might be some more.

You cannot just subtract phasor quantities by their magnitude, correct? In the Chelapati book, page 3-54, they subtract 1036 angle -6.9 kVA from 1135.5 kVA to get 117.4 kVA. That's an error, correct?
Does anyone know if there is an errate available from the Chelapati books anywhere? I'm sure this is an error and there might be some more.
no you cannot. the best way is to convert back into rectangular form and do the addition/subtraction there. Only multiplication/division can be done in the polar form.

or.....use the fx casio 115 from what i hear.

no you cannot. the best way is to convert back into rectangular form and do the addition/subtraction there. Only multiplication/division can be done in the polar form.

or.....use the fx casio 115 from what i hear.

You can add and substract only if the two phasors are in phase (equal angels).

I think their "out" is the phrase they use just before the answer - "at the same power factor". Their power factor is cos(-6.9), so they are just leaving that part out. Basically, they're saying 1153.5<(-6.9) - 1036.4<(-6.9) = 117.4<(-6.9) kVA

I've found a couple of typo type errors in the Chelapati book, but nothing as far as theory or formulas. Nothing on the level of the Kaplan sample exam.

I think their "out" is the phrase they use just before the answer - "at the same power factor". Their power factor is cos(-6.9), so they are just leaving that part out. Basically, they're saying 1153.5<(-6.9) - 1036.4<(-6.9) = 117.4<(-6.9) kVA
I've found a couple of typo type errors in the Chelapati book, but nothing as far as theory or formulas. Nothing on the level of the Kaplan sample exam.

What is teh PF associated with 1036.4 KVA?

Back