Stupid Washing Machine

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped at the little mom & pop store yesterday.  Apparently, LG is actually supposed to be one of the better choices, as they say, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

While Googling, I did find out that there is one out there that is supposed to be a lot better than all the other ones,  Speed Queen is actually made in America and has a very good reputation.  Can only find them on Amazon or in actual appliance stores...no Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.  The little mom & pop place is a dealer and they had some.  They're pricy, but it's because they are made like tanks with actual metal, no plastic.  One of the washers was like the one my mom had...no electronics at all, everything is mechanical.  I would seriously look at one, but I don't think they've got the size we would need.  Even their front-load washer is only 3.4 cu.ft.

Stopped at the little mom & pop store yesterday.  Apparently, LG is actually supposed to be one of the better choices, as they say, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

While Googling, I did find out that there is one out there that is supposed to be a lot better than all the other ones,  Speed Queen is actually made in America and has a very good reputation.  Can only find them on Amazon or in actual appliance stores...no Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.  The little mom & pop place is a dealer and they had some.  They're pricy, but it's because they are made like tanks with actual metal, no plastic.  One of the washers was like the one my mom had...no electronics at all, everything is mechanical.  I would seriously look at one, but I don't think they've got the size we would need.  Even their front-load washer is only 3.4 cu.ft.
Speed Queen was the ones that our contractor put in dorms back when I was working at the college...  seems to me that a company who provides laundry machines to college students probably knows something about value and durability...  

jesus christ you nerds are easy to get riled up, I bet you also thinks Honda makes anything other than a good lawnmower!
Boats?

c3.jpg

But they do make decent mowers (better if they came in yellow though)

honda-hf2620-lawn-tractor3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, my staff are also responsible for repairing washers and dryers in village "washeterias" and they speak very highly of Speed Queen.  I didn't know they made units ofr household use - I will have to check that out when our Samsungs crap out!

i checked mine last night.  it is maytag 9000 series.  over 4 cu. f.t of space.  The only problem I have had is the plastic faceplate for the soap drawer had a clip break and falls off occasioanlly, but it doesn't impact the operation.  it is just a cover to make the front look pretty,

jesus christ you nerds are easy to get riled up, I bet you also thinks Honda makes anything other than a good lawnmower!
Yeah: generators, ATVs and motorcycles.

But I agree the simpler the better.  I've been happy with the Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) washer and dryer I bought about 17 years ago.  I've had to do a few repairs (replaced the circuit board in the dryer and then had to replace a switch a few years later, also replaced the transmission coupling on the washer), but overall they've been pretty reliable, and they're simple enough I can easily work on them myself.  But if you start getting into these fancy-schmancy LG and Samsung things good luck. . .

My old old washer and dryer (the ones left in the NC rental house that got stolen) was in the house when I bought it but didn't work...  I ended up using a timing belt from the auto store to fix it temporarily and man did that thing squeal at the start of each cycle, lol

Back