Studying for the PE - Where to start?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharris

Reaction score
I'm preparing for my first (and hopefully last) go at this exam, but I don't know where to start studying. I'm a civil taking a transportation depth exam. Do I just start with any of the other subjects or dive right into transportation? Are there any materials that are suggested (besides the CERM) for the other AM subjects?

I mostly used the CERM... started with the AM subjects and left transportation for second half of my studies

OK, here is how I would approach the problem. Go to the NCCES web site and review the specifications for the examination that you plan on taking. This can be easily downloaded. What this tells you is what is going to be on the examination and the relative weight of each subject. Step 2 is to review the list and see what you know and what you need to brush up on. We'll assume that you know all of the subjects, with at least some familiarity. Step 3 is to get the next text books, some you probably had from college and review, i.e., work ALL of the problems in the book at each chapter. This will give you added confidence about the examination as well as refresh material that you may not have used since college. Step 4 is to order a NCEES practice test and take it. See how you do. However, this step should be done toward the end of the study cycle, after you have really worked on the material defined in the examination specification. Don't assume that just because you saw it on the practice test that is all that will be on the real examination. Such is NOT the Case.

Remember, the PE exam is designed to test for 'minimal competency". An academic colleague of mine stated that this meant the difference between the F and D student. Kind of a simple cowboy explanation, however, it does make sense.

Further recall that this is a bachelor's level examination. The test is designed to work each question in 6 minutes or less. Hence, you don't need to "overstudy" the question. If you understand the material, the approach and subsequent should be obvious. If you don't understand the material, well, then further study is needed.

You will see that most folks on this board will constantly emphasize the ability to work a plethora of problems-- the mroe problems you work, the better you will be. Why? You will understand the concepts of the principle that is being tested.

Your attitude is correct. There is no reason not to study hard and take this test one time. Work hard and be done with it.

Good Luck-- you should do well.

This exam is all about solving problems, so you should begin your preparation with that end in mind.

AM section: CERM will be your main reference. To prepare for these problems you should work through all of the breadth problems in the 6-minute solutions books and the NCEES problems book (latest edition). This may not sound like much, but if you work through all of these, you will have worked through 126 breadth problems. This worked for me and I feel that I did really well on the AM section (at least 37/40). Working through these problems will familiarize you with the sections of the CERM that you need to know. I wouldn't bother doing the CERM practice problems unless you have a lot of time to study. Doing well on the AM section will allow you to relax on the PM section.

PM section: I took WR/E, so I can't help with the Transportation depth problems, but if you work through the depth problems for the Trans. 6-minute solutions book and NCEES book, you should be fine. I've also heard that for Trans., it's helpful to have all of the recommended references for the PM section.

I recommend setting up your study schedule to average 3-5 problems per day which can be easily done without feeling as if you are overwhelmed. Good luck.

Back