Studying for the October 2015 exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would glance over the math sections just to familiarize yourself with some of the concepts you may have forgotten. For example, the Law of Cosines that can help you navigate through linkage problems.

As far as the alternative power sections, I would look over them, so you know where certain formulas might be. I wouldn't be surprised if almost each exam offering had a single question regarding that material.

Slow. Still in fluids. Using Lindeberg's 12th ed. practice Problems with my 13th ed MERM.

Cant believe all the assumptions made to solve a couple sewage problems- i mean they are valid assumptions, but these should not be Fermi questions!

Finishing up thermo cycles this week, hopefully. Need to transition over to MD for the remainder of August and September then if I have time come back and do HVAC and heat transfer in early October.

I'm finishing up hvac this week. I'm debating on leaving out studying the fans and ductwork section of the MERM altogether but will probably review it. I will focus on the MD depth this month bUT I will likely skim over the thermo/fluids/hvac stuff I've reviewed already every weekend or there about to avoid forgetting it!

I took the T&F exam this past April and passed first time. I think the most helpful item for me was creating a note book (3-ring binder) that was categorized by topic (fluids, heat transfer, statics, etc.). Each topic contained very basic notes and the most common equations. The plan was that this would be my immediate go-to while taking the exam. The notebook also contained info about where to look for references in the MERM, such as "see table 14-2 for blah blah blah...". I used this notebook when working problems and taking practice exams. This helped me to decide what goes in and what stays out. There's no point in ultimately copying an 800-page reference manual. I tried to weed out items by the 80/20 rule.

This really worked out well for me. During the exam, I just identified what kind of problem it was and then went to that section in my binder. Most of the time, what I needed was there. If not, I had notes that pointed me to specific sections in the MERM or sometimes one of my other references. During the exam, I basically only opened the MERM to look up tables and properties. I wasn't using it to find equations or decide how to solve a problem. I should also mention that I also included little hints such as, "don't forget to use absolute pressure in this equation" or "be sure to convert to Kelvin", etc.

I used both the Lindburg and the NCEES practice exams. I think the actual exam was very similar to the NCEES practice exam. Looking back, I wish I had taken the Lindburg exam a little earlier in my study (I think I did it about a month or 3 weeks out). Don't worry about time with the Lindburg exam, it is a little more difficult. Just work through and make sure you understand the problems. I would also recommend going through the exam a second time. Sure, you'll recognize some of the problems but it is still good practice to work them again. I figure between the two exams that is 160 problems so I wasn't worried about not being challenged during the second time.

I graduated university in 1997 so I've been out of school for a while. Don't let that hold you back. With some determination and effort, you will definitely be able to pass. Good luck!
Monza,

How many weeks or months did you study for. I am taking the T&F exam in October

Is the MERM sufficient for the MD depth vibrations, kinematics, dynamics sections?

Reading the entire MERM is a waste of precious preparation time. You can skip most of the first 14 chapters. There is no reason for any engineer to review basic Math etc. I would recommend looking at the NCEES breakdown and focus on those topics. You should certainly focus on your depth sections as well as any topics, such as Fluid/Thermal, that you are weak in.

During my prep I worked all the relevant MERM companion problems and skipped the 1-hour questions. The 1-hour questions, while in depth and thorough, simply aren't going to prepare you for an exam where you have, on average, 6 mins per problem.

Sounds like great advice.

So far, I've read through all relevant portions of the MERM (while doing some practice problems)..which took me way too long, and am now working practice problems via the NCEES 2001 and current practice tests, SMS, and Lindeburg practice test (major grind). If I get though all of those materials, I'll probably do the MERM practice problems too.

If I was fresh out of college, I'd probably just skim the MERM super fast and then head straight to practice problems, but I've been out of college for about 10 years. So, I felt I had to re-acquaint myself with some of the concepts so I didn't get discouraged come practice time.

I've been working practice problems for a couple weeks now and like how things are looking. With 66 days to the test (and 15 hours 45 minutes and about 30 seconds, not that I'm counting)...I think I'll be strong by test time. Practice, practice, practice from here on out. I'm hoping for 1-2 hrs per day. I want to walk into the test feeling confident, that's my main goal.

LP

Is it acceptable to take in hand written notes on writing tablet paper placed in a 3 ring binder? I see writing tablets and legal pads are specifically not allowed, so just wondering if there will be issues with the paper from these bound... thanks!

Is it acceptable to take in hand written notes on writing tablet paper placed in a 3 ring binder? I see writing tablets and legal pads are specifically not allowed, so just wondering if there will be issues with the paper from these bound... thanks!

This can be state specific. Contact your State board, or visit your State exam page and see what they recommend.

Thanks have done and my board directed me to NCEES - contacted them and it's acceptable.

For the benefit of the board, you should post what state you're testing in and what the NCEES advice was.

Oh yes sorry - I thought I had mentioned I am taking the exam in WA previously!

Question to NCEES was "is it acceptable to take in hand-written notes/questions/solutions/equations on writing tablet paper which is filed in a 3 ring binder"

NCEES "as long as all papers are in the rings in the binder they are acceptable. If you have pencil notes you will need to make a photocopy of them or mark them with a highlighter".

Hope this helps!

I took the T&F exam this past April and passed first time. I think the most helpful item for me was creating a note book (3-ring binder) that was categorized by topic (fluids, heat transfer, statics, etc.). Each topic contained very basic notes and the most common equations. The plan was that this would be my immediate go-to while taking the exam. The notebook also contained info about where to look for references in the MERM, such as "see table 14-2 for blah blah blah...". I used this notebook when working problems and taking practice exams. This helped me to decide what goes in and what stays out. There's no point in ultimately copying an 800-page reference manual. I tried to weed out items by the 80/20 rule.

This really worked out well for me. During the exam, I just identified what kind of problem it was and then went to that section in my binder. Most of the time, what I needed was there. If not, I had notes that pointed me to specific sections in the MERM or sometimes one of my other references. During the exam, I basically only opened the MERM to look up tables and properties. I wasn't using it to find equations or decide how to solve a problem. I should also mention that I also included little hints such as, "don't forget to use absolute pressure in this equation" or "be sure to convert to Kelvin", etc.

I used both the Lindburg and the NCEES practice exams. I think the actual exam was very similar to the NCEES practice exam. Looking back, I wish I had taken the Lindburg exam a little earlier in my study (I think I did it about a month or 3 weeks out). Don't worry about time with the Lindburg exam, it is a little more difficult. Just work through and make sure you understand the problems. I would also recommend going through the exam a second time. Sure, you'll recognize some of the problems but it is still good practice to work them again. I figure between the two exams that is 160 problems so I wasn't worried about not being challenged during the second time.

I graduated university in 1997 so I've been out of school for a while. Don't let that hold you back. With some determination and effort, you will definitely be able to pass. Good luck!
Monza,

How many weeks or months did you study for. I am taking the T&F exam in October

I ordered my MERM in October, but I didn't really start studying seriously until after the first of the year... so sometime in January. I made myself a schedule (actually I used the recommended schedule in the MEMR and one I found on Dr. Tom's website) and stuck to it. I was getting up at 5am every morning to study before work. Sometimes I would do some additional problems at night if i really felt motivated. By late Feb I was dong more over the weekend just to try and stay on schedule. By mid March I was getting burnt out. I took some time off and cleared my head. Don't take too much time off, but I do think it did me some good.

The last two weeks were basically taking the practice exams and then studying the ones I got wrong in more detail. By the day of the exam I felt pretty confident. I finished both sessions with a little time to spare, but I used that time to review any uncertain answers. I left that day feeling pretty good.

Keep studying and good luck!

Just finished working through the NCEES 2001 sample problems, and am now compiling a cheat sheet that I can use for the rest of my practice problems (and hone throughout).

The more practice I do, the more I realize speed is a HUGE component of the test. It seems if you can tip the time tables in your favor, that's a really big advantage. Hence, a solid (but not overly crowded) cheat sheet.

LP

Just finished working through the NCEES 2001 sample problems, and am now compiling a cheat sheet that I can use for the rest of my practice problems (and hone throughout).

The more practice I do, the more I realize speed is a HUGE component of the test. It seems if you can tip the time tables in your favor, that's a really big advantage. Hence, a solid (but not overly crowded) cheat sheet.

LP

Spot on, loudog! I would suggest to think more about organization than speed. I didn't feel any time pressure when I took the test last April. But I had my cheat sheet binder which was a huge help. In your cheat sheet be sure to include reference to your other books; for example you can put "see table 3.1 on page 45" or something similar. It helps you to go right to where you need to be and spend less time thumbing through page after page.

Keep at it, you're on the right track.

LP

Spot on, loudog! I would suggest to think more about organization than speed. I didn't feel any time pressure when I took the test last April. But I had my cheat sheet binder which was a huge help. In your cheat sheet be sure to include reference to your other books; for example you can put "see table 3.1 on page 45" or something similar. It helps you to go right to where you need to be and spend less time thumbing through page after page.

Keep at it, you're on the right track.

Thanks Monza! Also, thanks for the thought regarding the cheat sheet referencing...funny, as I started putting together my cheat sheet, I found, for me, there were very few equations worth putting on there at this point (maybe something like 20). Most other things, are references...like, projectile motion, 57-5 MERM, Fatigue Life, Shigley 373, etc.

I'm sure my approach will continue to evolve, but at this point, that will be the approximate combo of my cheat sheet, some equations and some references. If I can find what I need, and know what I'm doing when I get to that info...I figured I'll be good to go.

Working SMS mechanical right now. Finished up breadth and working into depth. From there, I think I'll hit some NCEES 2001 thermo-fluids depth samples problems, then maybe some MERM Practice Problems...then back through everything for reinforcement. Then, I'll take the Sample 2008 NCEES test for real and see where I stand.

That's the plan. Where you guys all at, and what's the plan?

Anyone decided on the reference material you're bringing along on exam day? I'm taking in the MERM, shigley, another design book by juvinall, mechanics of materials book, machinery's handbook, marks and maybe the practice exam and problem books although not sure if those will be useful on exam day. Im also working on a binder with notes for the various topics.

Back