Study Strategy for the Electrical Power Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerofrank

AeroFrank
Reaction score
Please advise i'm contemplating on taking the Power exam in April. Here is my strategy for preparation to take the exam, and I'd appreciate some feedback as to whether this is the best approach:

Note: I have the following material:

1. GA Tech notes

2. NCEES Booklet 2 each (one is marked up)

3. Beaty, Handbook of Electrical Calculations

4. Complex Imaginary (CI) test, all 4 volumes

1. Study the exam problems in the NCEES booklet and see how each problem relates to chapters, associated with the GA Tech material. Study the specific concepts and problems in the GA Tech material that relates to that specific problem. This may also apply to using the Beaty handbook as a reference as well.

2. Develop a additional exam binder around the GA Tech material, Beaty and the NCEES booklet

3. Review the problem sets in the CI volumes as well, and add imformation to the test binder.

4. With the new NCEES booklet, practice taking the PE exam at least 3 times, under simulated

condtions (40 problems in the morning and 40 problems in the afternoon, timed).

5. May purchase Spin-Up exam booklet and will repeat the same simulated exam procedure.

I'm contemplaing on bringing the least amount of material to the exam, so I hope that what I have, will be sufficient to pass the exam. Also forgot to mention I have the NEC 2011 codebook as well.

Please provide your feedback as whether you think this is a good approach, to prepare for the Power exam. Again I wish to thank everyone for their time and patience.

AeroFrank

i think if you score 70% minimum in complex imaginary test and spin up test you should be prepared for the exam. Your strategy looks fine to me!...I dedicated about a whole year preparing...i know you have been preparing a long time ago i still remember when you post that you didn't pass on april 2011 i think it was. Do a bunch of problems that is the key in this kind of exam. Make sure you have reference stuff for the stuff that you don't have reference...for example the ANSII/IEEE standart device number table posted in this thread http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=18356 a another thing that could help is a chart of what kind of voltages are considered low voltage/medium voltage/high voltage.....other good reference can be rectifiers...a chart that shows schematics of full wave, half way rectifier...the input wave and the output wave.

Just checking for information on those 3 things can get you 6 correct answers probably in the morning and the afternoon since some questions in the afternoon are similar to the morning portion.

I know you are trying to cut down on the number of references you have, but to your list I would also add a good electrical machines book (i.e. Wildi or Chapman) and a systems book for protective relaying and fault analysis (i.e. Grainger or Glover). I found the material provided in the GA Tech binder didn't necessarily cover all aspects of each exam topic. I very much agree with your #2. Having a formula sheet or binder as your main "go-to" quick reference is very helpful during the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back