Study Strategies

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massalia13

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope your studying is going well.

I'd like to have opinions about how to include references into my studying schedule.

I've almost done going through the ENVRM2 (and doing exercices for each chapter using "Practice Problems" from PPI) .

With this method, I was able to solve most of the problems included in the NCEES sample questions.

At this point, would you recommend buying other references and study them or getting more practice problems (Solved Environmental Problems from PPI for example). The only other reference I got so far is "Waste Management" by LaGrega and several regulations.

Thanks for your help.

I found Wastewater Engineering by Metcalf and Eddy extremely useful during the exam. I also was able to answer a few qualitative questions with the Environmental Law Handbook. I tabbed my ENVRM pretty heavily, to make finding equations easier. Tabbing the reference manual is also a great way to go over what you have studied.

Don't forget to spend sometime going through the HSE guidances and environmental regs, another thread suggested these, (and that's what I studied):

- NIOSH pocket guide to chemical hazards

- 2004 Emergency Response Handbook (DOT/Canada etc.)

- EPA RCRA and CERCLA "orientation manuals"

Also, you might want to get your hands on a good hydrogeology textbook, if you don't have one, and do some studying there.

Don't forget to spend sometime going through the HSE guidances and environmental regs, another thread suggested these, (and that's what I studied):
- NIOSH pocket guide to chemical hazards

- 2004 Emergency Response Handbook (DOT/Canada etc.)

- EPA RCRA and CERCLA "orientation manuals"

Also, you might want to get your hands on a good hydrogeology textbook, if you don't have one, and do some studying there.
I had Applied Hydrology by Chow/Maidment/Mays, Groundwater Hydraulics and Pollutant Transport by Charbeneau, and Fundamentals of Hydraulic Engineering Systems by Hwang with me at the exam, but IIRC, didn't use them much (if at all). My theory was to have too many referneces, just in case I needed them.

Don't forget to check the pinned topics at the top of this subforum. There's a lot of good advice from past test takers there.

I finished the University of VT and the NCSU videos back in June and just finished brushing over them again. The lecture notes for the videos are well explained and covers the range of topics very well. The videos individually have their weakness but I think the two sets together really compliment each other. I have been putting a lot of hours into the VT homework and PPI study materials over the past few months while building my library of references based on the recommendations on this board. Any down time I have I start doing problems or reading through materials. Funny after all the studying I find the most handy during the practice exams are my well tabbed EERM and my trusty FE supplied reference guide. Ive gotten a deeper understanding and perspective of the material through the other references but the EERM is very thorough for most topics.

I'm feeling pretty good after going through every practice exam question PPI and NCEES has at least 3 times. I feel like kicking back but just a few more days of study will be worth it though I have in fact slowed down the pace already. I practically have the questions memorized so I hope the exam is pretty similar!

You should do well, then. I remember that feeling, and I passed.

Looking back on it all, it was kind of fun, especially in how it re-invigorated my professional interest in my career.

I'm not handling the pressure very well. I got a 63% on a 2004 practice exam.

Should I work the problems I've already worked again or should I try to work new problems? I've done a lot of PPI problems.

63% might get you a "P"...you never know.

So take a deep breath and keep working problems, but as you are working problems make sure you are tabbing reference sections and organizing, work on your problem solving methods, identify which types of questions you can answer quickly, and which ones you'll need a little longer to complete. I was able to get a lot done during my last week of studying by just developing strategies and knowing my reference very well. Having said that...don't let yourself get burned out, take a break when needed.

Best of luck!

Super stressed over here. I failed last exam by two or three questions. I took the 2011 Practice exam on Monday and got a 65%. Not good.

I got it, guys. PASSED the enviro exam in South Carolina! Feels great; no more studying! Thanks everyone for help/advice.

63% might get you a "P"...you never know.

So take a deep breath and keep working problems, but as you are working problems make sure you are tabbing reference sections and organizing, work on your problem solving methods, identify which types of questions you can answer quickly, and which ones you'll need a little longer to complete. I was able to get a lot done during my last week of studying by just developing strategies and knowing my reference very well. Having said that...don't let yourself get burned out, take a break when needed.

Best of luck!
Looking back at this... I honestly don't think I did much better than a 63% on the actual exam, but I passed so water under the bridge!

Back