Structural PM - Level of Difficulty

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris_TX

I am still trying to gauge the level of difficulty for the structural PM and would like to know if those who have taken the exam can shed some light on the most "difficult" types of problems they encountered. I understand this may be a bit relative as I am very weak in timber design while another who performs these tasks every day will consider the same problem a breeze. I figure that with enough input those of us preparing can determine where we should be at in our preparations.

:eyebrows:

I am still trying to gauge the level of difficulty for the structural PM and would like to know if those who have taken the exam can shed some light on the most "difficult" types of problems they encountered. I understand this may be a bit relative as I am very weak in timber design while another who performs these tasks every day will consider the same problem a breeze. I figure that with enough input those of us preparing can determine where we should be at in our preparations.
:unitedstates:
I know you have high anxiety, but it's a lot easier than the 6-minute solutions. Just keep doing the 6-minute problems and try to "think like an engineer" during the test because you'll have to be confident in what you're doing in order to get good answers.

No. 1 - Be confident

No. 2 - Do lots and lots of problems.

No. 3 - Keep in mind that the NCEES sample exam is the closest in terms of difficulty (even though the codes are out of date).

GOOD LUCK! :th_rockon:

i had a similiar problem when i was preparing for structures... but do ur IBC and ACI well..and u will b alright for the PM. Also take every reference code mentioned on their website.. even though u might not have looked thru it...

A good point to study for structures PM can be the notes from the concrete/steel classes u have taken in undergrad/grad. CERM is a waste for the afternoon section structural ...

Difficulty wise...I believe most of the questions where moderately hard. Nothing too difficult, but if you didn't go into the test knowing how to approach the problem...you won't be able to solve it in the amount of time given. As many have said...practice as much as you can…if you can solve all of the 6min solution problems quickly, you should be fine.

As the previous poster said...make sure you have all of the codes...flip thru them to figure out what's covered...I remember a few of the questions being simple if you had the code and knew where to look, basically look up the equation and plug and chug. If you don’t have a copy of the code...or don’t know where to look...you are better off guessing.

Also, if the code allows you to solve a problem in multiple ways...you should spend a little time on the "alternate" method...just in case.

I recommend getting a copy of the SERM - It got me through Structural I, it should be able to get you through the Structural PM. It does a real good job of covering the basics, and is easy to reference during the exam. I still use mine as a reference.

Back