Stormwater Certifications: CISEC, CESSWI, CPESC?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyMtnHigh

Holistic Mapper
Reaction score
Definitions for Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control (CISEC), Certified Erosion Sediment and Storm Water Inspector (CESSWI), and Certified Professional in Erosion and Sediment Control (CPESC) are nebulous at best.

What differentiates these certifications from one another? Are they interchangable? Which certification is optimal, if you can obtain only one?

^A PE license.
+1, Those certifications are for those who cannot obtain a PE license.
Thats not true. Some states require these even if you're a PE.
I have never heard of a state certification requirement trumping a State Licensing requirement. I am interested in which state you are referring? I can tell you NJ, PA, MD, DE, :wv: , DC and OH do not have these.

If that is the case, the NSPE and ASCE chapters of those states have not been doing their jobs as advocates of the profession.

I find it just as interesting when I see a traffic guy have PE and PTOE after their name. I have often asked them why they needed the certification and the common responses is "just for show."

In Georgia to stamp erosion control plans you have to 1. Be a PE, and then 2. Sit through a lame ass course to become a Level 2 Design Professional.

Well thats for Erosion Control Plans over 1.0 Acre Disturbed area or within 200' of a State Water...

Which is pretty much any Transportation Project or General Civil Site Project...

& yeah people have learned that the State EPD doesnt find a Disturbed Area of 0.99 very amusing :D

I am a licensed PE in the state of Colorado and my boss is pushing for an erosion and sediment control certification. I believe the basis for this push is to gain some sort of competative edge (more fancy letters after my name). I understand California requires one of the above certs to produce SWPPs and it may be required for inspections of BMPs but that is not the case in CO.

Given the myriad of certs available, I wanted to pursue the most useful one, even if it is redundant (or even considered lesser than) a PE.

& yeah people have learned that the State EPD doesnt find a Disturbed Area of 0.99 very amusing :D
That's why all my projects have a disturbed area of 0.98 acres. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its required in Michigan. Doesn't matter if you're a PE, MD, PHD, or the governor, you still need to pass the exam from the DEQ.

I can definitely concur that none of those are a requirement in Ohio. When I was with the County Engineers Office here and later with the city Sewer District, one of my jobs was reviewing and approving plans which included sediment and stormwater control and we didn't require any certifications although we did require that calculations be stamped by a PE.

I was just told that my PE would not cut it anymore in CA, starting Jan 1 I will have to get a certification to make sure I know that dirt runs downhill in the rain.

Back