Sterling - NBA lifetime ban

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more opposed to the government prohibiting businesses from terminating their contracts when they consider it to be in their best financial interest.

Perhaps I'm out of the loop on this because I will admit I'm confused by this statement.

I also want to ask, are we considering each individual team as the owners business that participates in an association or are we looking at this as that the team is owned by the NBA and he just funds it and receives the profits because there is a HUGE difference. IF the team is OWNED by the NBA and Sterling is merely an investor, cash out his shares and be rid of him in the best interest of your company, yes I get it. If the team is owned by Sterling and he is part of an association, well in my eyes then you can't force him to sell the team because he owns it. You can ban him from the association but which will probably eventually lead to him selling the team, but that is totally different.

By forcing him out through a vote, the NBA is trying to do what their legally binding contract says they can do. The only way this isn't going to happen is if the NBA says, "Everyone says we're setting a bad precedent so let's backtrack on what the commissioner said we would do," or if Sterling successfully sues for an injunction against a sale. The former isn't going to happen and the latter is an act of government prohibiting the NBA from doing what it believes is in its best interest.

Not that I think they'll be able to force the sale the way they want. I think your earlier prediction will be spot-on.

I'm just curious to see if the old man will go down without a fight or go drag this out as long as he can?

I'm more opposed to the government prohibiting businesses from terminating their contracts when they consider it to be in their best financial interest.

Perhaps I'm out of the loop on this because I will admit I'm confused by this statement.

I also want to ask, are we considering each individual team as the owners business that participates in an association or are we looking at this as that the team is owned by the NBA and he just funds it and receives the profits because there is a HUGE difference. IF the team is OWNED by the NBA and Sterling is merely an investor, cash out his shares and be rid of him in the best interest of your company, yes I get it. If the team is owned by Sterling and he is part of an association, well in my eyes then you can't force him to sell the team because he owns it. You can ban him from the association but which will probably eventually lead to him selling the team, but that is totally different.

He owns a franchise, so this means the NBA basically gives him a license to use their trademark and participate in their league. Typically franchises are revokable by the franchisor for a number of reasons, determined by the contract between them and the franchisee.

For instance, some friends of mine used to own a pool league franchise. If they didn't grow their player base by a certain number of teams within a certain amount of time, the franchise would revert to the league. I wouldn't be surprised if the NBA franchise contact had clauses about negative publicity because the NBA wants to protect their brand from this kind of stuff.

I have no sympathy for Sterling and his comments. But it is troubling that no one has questioned why the conversation was being recorded. Was it a set up? Who? Why?

I think it was a set up. Someone who knows him very well, knowing what buttons to push, set him off. Who? The NBA? Someone who wants to buy the Clippers? His gold digging girlfriend? By the way...how do you call someone who sells himself/herself for money?

If listen to the call you can hear how she asks and says the right questions to make him say whatever she was expecting him to say. It sounded too structured sometimes.

Maybe my point is here is that I believe so many lines have been crossed here, all over the place. That worries me a bit. To live in a society where the end justifies the means does not make me feel warm and fuzzy. What is next?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/04/29/8-Things-That-Wont-Get-You-Banned-by-the-NBA

With the lifetime ban by the NBA of despicably racist Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, the door is wide open to further sports bans on people who say offensive things in private

8 Things That Won't Get You Banned by the NBA

1. Discriminating against black people in housing (Sterling is already guilty of this).

2. Strangling somebody (NBA players)

3. Being a publicly vicious racist while black. (front row season ticket holder Spike Lee)

4. Using anti-gay slurs.

5. Attacking patrons of your sport.

6. Pushing your girlfriend to have an abortion, then harassing her about it.

7. Drawing your gun on a fellow player.

8. Reckless driving resulting in a passenger’s death

free_speech.png

Or maybe only speak your mind around people you trust instead of your gold-digging mistress.
I trust all of you...

You wouldn't tell my boss I like to spam, talk smart, and hide behind my user name and AV to say things that I wouldn't stand behind if we were having a conversation face to face, would you?

Getting nervous here... My case of the honkies acts up from time to time.

So who caught any of last night's interview? I watched about 5 minutes of it on ESPN this morning. That guy couldn't dig himself any deeper if you gave him a backhoe.

Starts ripping Magic Johnson and "AIDS" relentlessly, then goes off into something about the Jews, then into how he helps minorities all the time and prayed for Magic Johnson and would love to do work with him?

That interview confirmed a few things:

1) He is batshit crazy

2) He is totally racist

3) It is impossible for anyone on any level to feel sorry for the guy

I believe it. At multiple points throughout, you could tell he completely forgot what he was talking about 5 seconds before.

Latest posts

Back