Steel/Prefab buildings?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supe

Reaction score
Does anyone recommend any specific companies to check into for steel prefab buildings?

We have outgrown our existing house, and it's time to start thinking a bit more long-term.

Ideally, what I'm looking to do:

-Buy a plot of land

-Build a very large (4+) car garage with living quarters overhead.

-Sell or put existing house up for rent.

-Build new house on plot of land, live over the garage while its being built.

Option B would be large garage used just for storage during the build, and put a used modular or mobile home on the property to live in temporarily. Option A would be much preferred, as that space would be converted to the GF's photo studio after build completion/in-law suite as-needed.

While there seem to be a lot of packages out there, I'm also hearing that some of the prefab/modular/steel buildings are turning out more expensive than stick built alternatives.

Any thoughts or suggestions? My big concern is that the garage may not end up being located near the house, and I may very well run into limitations on water/septic systems.

Almost all of my dealings are with the commercial providers. Varco Pruden and Nucor are the two that I've dealt with most. Both are good systems, but have had better relations with the VP crew.

Have looked into getting a non-commercial building in the past and found US Steel to have the vest deals, especially near year end when they want to clear out the remaining stock. Almost had a 40x100 building for 10k shipped to Anchorage a few years back (shipping alone neared 6k).

Good luck with the project, they are fun to get put together.

Almost all of my dealings are with the commercial providers. Varco Pruden and Nucor are the two that I've dealt with most. Both are good systems, but have had better relations with the VP crew.

Have looked into getting a non-commercial building in the past and found US Steel to have the vest deals, especially near year end when they want to clear out the remaining stock. Almost had a 40x100 building for 10k shipped to Anchorage a few years back (shipping alone neared 6k).

Good luck with the project, they are fun to get put together.

Thanks! I'll take a look. So hard to get a good feel just by looking at limited online plans/photos.

keep it simple, get a big used RV, either a motored one or a tow behind. Plumbing, electric and heat are usually in them. If during construction it needs to be out of the way, just move it. Metal building is still going to need to meet building code.

Back