Steel Construction Manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigwolf

Shall I call you Logan, Weapon X???
Reaction score
I have been working some steel problems in both SERM (4th Edition) and also in "Seismic Design Review for the PE Exam" (6th Edition)--Kaplan book.

I have run into a couple problems involving tension connections and trying to determine the effective area. In both SERM (Pg 4-30) and "Seismic Design" (Pg 195) the author (Alan Williams) says that dh = db + 1/8" for use in the determination of the effective area......both books reference the Steel Construction Manual (AISC) Section D 3.2 and Table J3.3-->however, when I go to these sections, the best that I can figure out is that the bolt hole should be 1/16" greater and not 1/8".

I'm just curious if the 1/8" is a flub that wasn't updated with the new version of the Steel Design Manual or if I'm missing something :reading:

BW,

I must admit, I only have my 9th and 13th editions infront of me but I think you have found an error in the SERM and Kaplan books. The standard hole is 1/16" larger in diameter than the bolt you're using.

Have you checked for errata for the SERM or Seismic 6th edition from Kaplan?

The net area for bolt holes in design should be taken as 1/8" larger than the diameter of the bolt. For punched bolt holes, the holes are actually 1/16" larger than the bolt; however, punching is assumed to damage 1/16" more of the steel around the hole.

See AISC 13th addition, Commentary Section D3, Part 2 Net Area.

You have the option to choose between ASD and LRFD. I remember for SEI there are two columns of answers A through D, one column for ASD and one column for LRFD.

Also, back to the bolt hole question. Table 9-1 in the 13th Edition connection section provides the reduced area for bolt holes based on the plate thickness and bolt diameter. Basically, the diameter + 1/8" is factored into the table.

Holy crap, I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day.

Thanks rdse!

I ran into this same exact problem when studying for the PE civil/structural test. Glad someone could clear this up. Thanks.

But I was looking through the AISC manual and came across this during my studying, Table J3.3 on page 16.1-105, Nominal Hole Dimensions; they give a chart for bolt hole diameters and it seems for a standard hole its 1/16". Please clarify. Thanks.

I ran into this same exact problem when studying for the PE civil/structural test. Glad someone could clear this up. Thanks.
But I was looking through the AISC manual and came across this during my studying, Table J3.3 on page 16.1-105, Nominal Hole Dimensions; they give a chart for bolt hole diameters and it seems for a standard hole its 1/16". Please clarify. Thanks.
I think I got it...nominal = bolt diameter + 1/16" and design = nominal + 1/16", so total would be bolt diameter + 1/8". A bit confusing.

Back