Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
our prelim #s without the mortgage interest, child care etc...we would basicall break even, but with the deductions we should be getting something back, not much, but something

Ours are actually fairly easy since we don't have nearly enough deductions to itemize.
I usually only have 1 deduction, but mortgage interest changes my owing money to me getting money every year. This year, I had a significant charitable donation that also helped.
Hoping that's the case for me this year!

I try to do my best to anticipate my earnings and deductions a year in advance and NOT get a refund. I'd rather be the one to earn interest on my money (however small) instead of the gubment.

I don't mind if I get a refund or owe a small amount. The only time I hate taxes is when we hit those seemingly unknown thresholds that change your tax rate. I based 2011 withholdings off of our 2010 taxes, and still got hit with a $3500 bill. If the deductions weren't reduced because of our gross income, we'd be pretty damn close to break even.

I try to do my best to anticipate my earnings and deductions a year in advance and NOT get a refund. I'd rather be the one to earn interest on my money (however small) instead of the gubment.
I am assuming you would have gladly taken an extra tax deduction for 2011 had the opportunity presented itself before 12/31/11 at 11:59PM...

For a couple with no children, ours is beyond complicated. We have had to file in 5 states in one year once (this year we are down to 4 but it will probably be back up to 5 again next year). We can also never predict what is going to go on that year... 2011 we sold a house, bought a car, had moving expenses, I got another raise... the multi- state thing was enough to get me to go to a CPA (bring him $100 and a case of beer every year) and he has always managed to do good by us...

what can I say, I've got people :) it's actually a friends dad... lol places like HR Block would charge us out the wazoo to file the way we have to... this year it's IL, Va, Al, Ga and maybe NC... even to do it myself online it would cost more with Turbo Tax than what he charges...

I'm afraid to even fill in our taxes yet. The little refund/owe number up in the corner of the screen feels like I'm playing slots. We should break even, but I just never know. We owed $1300 one year and then the next year we had to pay extra because the government thought we were holding out on them. BS.

Payment for tax work this year was a twilight flight down the Chicago lake front for my tax guy and his girlfriend.

I am the tax guy, but my girlfriend doesn't want to go anywhere this year.

Our taxes end up being pretty simple- mortgage, student loan, charity, few random tax breaks. It takes a long time, but at least I can stop, save, and go find things.

My issue isn't necessarily with actually doing the taxes (finding the paperwork, filling out the forms, etc), it's with what needs to be done to prepare in the year before. What do I need to do now so that when I file tax paperwork next year I won't be bent over by the IRS again.

Back