Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure about the money to be paid out if the 1st layer is replaced, but once you get a quote and send it to them, they will give you the depreciation back. I just went through all of this with SF.

Thanks! I have SF too, I didn't know that's how they approach it. Mind telling me what contractor you went with? The two biggies in my subdivision so far are Dula and Integrity, but I trust all these guys as far as I can throw them.

As for leaving the first layer - no way. As it is, there is some staining on some of the plywood visible from the interior due to the shitty job they did putting on the original roof, coupled with nail pops. I want them repairing those areas. They also left inadequate overhang in various spots, which would look like crap if just gone over.

Make sure they don't use a nailgun either.

I dunno guys at work were talking about the dangers with roofers using nailguns as opposed to hammers.

I dunno guys at work were talking about the dangers with roofers using nailguns as opposed to hammers.

Dangers?

That aside, I don't think there's a contractor anywhere in the area that still uses hammers. It's basically a team of about 10 guys on your roof with nail guns who knock the job out in about 8 hours.

Dangers?

That aside, I don't think there's a contractor anywhere in the area that still uses hammers. It's basically a team of about 10 guys on your roof with nail guns who knock the job out in about 8 hours.
I can't imagine any contractors using hammers to roof these days. That would take way way to long.

I can't imagine any contractors using hammers to roof these days. That would take way way to long.
I think I had about 12 Mexicans on my roof with hammers when I had my roof done. They did an exceptional job, and it took them about 6 hours to completely remove and replace the roof.

Here's an article explaining what the people at work were talking about:

http://www.smithandsonsroofing.com/WP/?p=172

I know my dad and a bunch of his friends redid the roof on my parents house 15 years ago and they have never had a problem. Just took a couple of guys, some beer and pizza, and a weekend to do it all by hand. Granted I'm sure your house is bigger and you probably don't have the time for it.

At the very least call around and see if you can get another quote from someone that may or may not do it by hand. Like I said I didn't know until I heard some other people talk about it at work (including a guy that built his own house by himself)

I'm not sure about the money to be paid out if the 1st layer is replaced, but once you get a quote and send it to them, they will give you the depreciation back. I just went through all of this with SF.

Thanks! I have SF too, I didn't know that's how they approach it. Mind telling me what contractor you went with? The two biggies in my subdivision so far are Dula and Integrity, but I trust all these guys as far as I can throw them.

As for leaving the first layer - no way. As it is, there is some staining on some of the plywood visible from the interior due to the shitty job they did putting on the original roof, coupled with nail pops. I want them repairing those areas. They also left inadequate overhang in various spots, which would look like crap if just gone over.
I'll send you a PM. I used a contractor from the county my parents grew up in. He went to a rival high school and I knew him growing up. His guys used hammers, not nail guns. Champion Services out of Rock Hill also hand nails, so they could be an option. The guy that did my roof takes a little longer too because he won't let the roofers work once it hits 90 degrees since they could damage the shingles when walking on them.

I think I had about 12 Mexicans on my roof with hammers when I had my roof done. They did an exceptional job, and it took them about 6 hours to completely remove and replace the roof.
Most roofing crews I see are two guys with nailguns and I bet they could finish a roof in the same amount of time. What are the dangers you're worried about here? I'm well aware of the danger to the operator (Road Guy, can you loan me your nailgun? ;) ), but since I'm not the one doing the roof I really don't care much about that.

The guy that did my roof takes a little longer too because he won't let the roofers work once it hits 90 degrees since they could damage the shingles when walking on them.
So he doesn't work in SC between 9am and midnight May through September?

The guy that did my roof takes a little longer too because he won't let the roofers work once it hits 90 degrees since they could damage the shingles when walking on them.
So he doesn't work in SC between 9am and midnight May through September?
Pretty much. His guys were on the roof by 6 am and typically called it a day around 11:30 or 12.

It was happening all over the neighborhood, so it didn't really matter. The crews that knocked it out in one day typically worked from around 6 or 6:30 in the morning to as late as 8 at night. One of my neighbors had guys on his roof until it was too dark for them to do anything else.

The best is when it starts to rain and lightning, and they're still up there. Only difference is that half of them stop working and start holding down blue tarps.

Here's an article explaining what the people at work were talking about:http://www.smithandsonsroofing.com/WP/?p=172
Although you could crank the pressure up and shoot through your shingles, a properly regulated air supply will give you a very consistent nail penetration. Having roofed houses both by hand and with nail guns, I'd never do it by hand again.

Finally got clarification as to what the f-up is with the paperwork on our loan:

Back in January the mortgage company submitted our original paperwork to FHA to get a case number established before some new more strict regulations kicked in. However in order to keep the case number, there needs to be periodic "activity" on the application or else FHA will throw away the paperwork and make you start over and apply for a new case number (under the current regulations). So, because we were approaching the deadline to get deleted for inactivity in June, the mortgage company ordered the appraisal which produced a value matching the agreed-upon purchase price back in January. The original purchase price only included the house and assumed we would be paying cash for the closing costs AND the down payment. When we came in to sign paperwork in July, we did so in order to modify this original agreement so that the majority of the closing costs would get rolled-up into the purchase price and only requiring us to bring the down payment. In order to do this, the appraisal would have to be revised to show a value equal to or greater than the purchase price (otherwise FHA would reject the loan). However, FHA also does not allow for the appraisal to be revised/modified once it's submitted. So basically, it was discovered that the mortgage company modified paperwork (the appraisal) that wasn't allowed to be modified, and thus creating a ~$6500 discrepancy. So far they have been able to write-off $3800, but are still in the process of trying to figure out how to get rid of the other ~$2700 (most likely dropping the purchase price).

I really hope these guys figure their $hit out by the 5th, because then I will have to unleash my wife who is beyond pissed right now. I know I'm really going to get pissed if I blast through 2 weeks of vacation time and get our house packed up only to find out that we can't move to our new house.

^^^ Do you know what really pisses me off about shit like that?

There are licensed professionals handling the paperwork. Where is their liability when that type of problem arises? Why isn't it the bank's fault that their processor was not completing the paperwork "properly" and according to FHA rules. They are licensed because they are supposed to be treating you fairly and completely aprising you of any changes wheter it is procedural or due to rules.

I hate this line from them - "sorry, we have been completing our duties incompetently so we are passing that on to you."

JR

Last edited:
The local USPS f*cking sucks. Not only have I had mail come that was literally 1/3 of an empty envelope, but it routinely comes in crumpled, water-soaked, and late. I've been waiting on a bunch of fricking Blu-Rays from Amazon that have been sitting in Charlotte since last Thursday, and they STILL haven't been delivered.

I know #1 is not going to happen, and fairly sure #4 isn't going to happen either. What I'm expecting to happen is a combo of #2 & #3, where the builder reduces their price a little and the mortgage company writes off a portion of the costs.
So my assumption was right. The mortgage company ate all of their fees then the builder reduced the sale price to cover the rest.

The closing is back on schedule and the funds we need to bring to the closing ended up dropping by $75. Now lets see of this holds until Friday...

It'll probably hold until about 4:45 on Thursday! Good luck!

Back