Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem today is this error I'm getting upon opening the drawing after having multiple FATAL ERRORS and then the program just crashes again. I checked the Autodesk Forums and the problem is all these temp files are created every time a drawing is opened and if it's not closed "properly" the temp folder gets overwhelmed with these files and they have to be manually deleted. The other option is uninstalling and reinstalling Civil3D. I've been deleting files for 2 hours now. We'll see how much longer it takes.

Do you have any large XREFs? Depending on the fatal error this may be the problem. I've had something similar with aerial photos and drawings where there is a lot of line work (i.e. parcels lines for the entire tri-county area). Civil3D can't handle panning when the images and/or XREFs are that large. You may try unloading them and working with them turned off so the computer doesn't have to render the frame every time you pan or modify the drawing.

As far as Civil Engineering goes, I'm sure Bentley is the more attractive choice for CAD...but in the MEP or Machine Design worlds, Microstation has a LOT of catching up to do. When we have to do Microstation drawings for the government, we do all the CAD work in AutoCAD MEP, the export to Microstation. Even though it is a pain in the ass to do the export, it sure beats the hell out of fighting Microstation every step of the way.

I don't know anything about machine design but Bentley is great for Civil/Mechanical Process work in that I can export out pipe fabrication drawings and send them directly to a manufacturer in lieu of going through shop drawings where the manufacturer redraws all of our piping.

My brother sells SolidWorks software and I've seen some of the stuff he can do with that. It's very impressive. Everything from CFD to heat transfer and fatigue analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any large XREFs? Depending on the fatal error this may be the problem. I've had something similar with aerial photos and drawings where there is a lot of line work (i.e. parcels lines for the entire tri-county area). Civil3D can't handle panning when the images and/or XREFs are that large. You may try unloading them and working with them turned off so the computer doesn't have to render the frame every time you pan or modify the drawing.
I do have xref's but they're both around 400kb so I don't think that's the problem. I deleted all my temp and back up drawing files and all the pntXXXX.tmp and triXXXX.tmp files and now I'm back running fine.

The last time I let out a scream resulted in a very long and unpleasant stay in the nuthouse for me.

I got back from an audit in Santa Barbara and the charging light on the State Car (a magnificent Cavalier) is coming on. I'm at home and need to drive it into the office on Mpnday. I'd be tempted to chance it, but I don't know. It is such a hassle because the state towing company is horrible. If I could use my own AAA it would be no problem. I've been on the road for two weeks and am anxious to get in (particularly to claim my reimbursement).

I know PE-Ness understands what it's like to be anxious to get in.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know why 2 out of the 3 of us in the office (that use Iplot) can't preview??? As far as I can tell, there's no logical explanation... All I've been doing in my spare time at work is hitting a :brickwall: every time I try to figure out what's different between my PC and the one that works....

must resist... urge... to... kill... :smash:

:brickwall: I'm scared. Reviewing a work plan and saw the contractor couldn't follow their own sample labeling scheme on paper when showing examples.

:brickwall: I'm scared. Reviewing a work plan and saw the contractor couldn't follow their own sample labeling scheme on paper when showing examples.

Don't feel so bad. I'm about to issue the new weld tracking program we've put together on about $6 billion worth of projects with basically no beta testing :sharkattack:

I need a secretary. Being one of only two environmental engineers supporting an entire state environmental agency gets sort of ridiculous when, all of a sudden, the bosses want me to actually do my job. AND support our local DPW, which ran off all its engineers over the past 5 years or so. (They want me to handle bidding/RFPs and project management for all NEPA work now)

*sigh*

I've spent six months probing the Chinese to get the information I need for weld mapping. Turns out, it was a complete waste of time, because our contracts guys and PM's don't understand that "all the tubes" and "scope of the entire boiler proper" are NOT interchangeable terms.

Of course, the listing of materials they provided me with to verify that we have all the necessary welding procedures in place I have now been informed isn't even close to being complete, nor are most of the wall thicknesses correct.

So before I left the house this morning I endorsed a check and asked the wife to deposit it in the bank. It was a large amount of money and about 20 minutes after I leave the house she says she can't find it anywhere. I was a little concerned that a certified check that I endorsed was MIA. I left it on my desk and told her that it was definitely there. She said it wasn't. I told her to check every piece of paper on the desk because I knew it was there. So she calls back and says that there is no way in hell it is on the desk. So I call the bank, put a stop payment on the check, go to the shop where my car is, look for the check there, go through my brief case, finally I made her come pick me up, take me home, and look for the check. After 10 seconds I found said check. Took me half the fucking morning. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

But I did tell her she owed me sexual favors tonight and she agreed.

:D

So before I left the house this morning I endorsed a check and asked the wife to deposit it in the bank. It was a large amount of money and about 20 minutes after I leave the house she says she can't find it anywhere. I was a little concerned that a certified check that I endorsed was MIA. I left it on my desk and told her that it was definitely there. She said it wasn't. I told her to check every piece of paper on the desk because I knew it was there. So she calls back and says that there is no way in hell it is on the desk. So I call the bank, put a stop payment on the check, go to the shop where my car is, look for the check there, go through my brief case, finally I made her come pick me up, take me home, and look for the check. After 10 seconds I found said check. Took me half the fucking morning. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
But I did tell her she owed me sexual favors tonight and she agreed.

:D

Well, I'm glad that you're now able to put a dollar value on sexual relations with your wife. :sharkattack:

my husband tends to gloss over items like that too. I can tell him exactly where it is and he searches forever.

Back